1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM1 does not seem to take pictures as good as the Ep5 . am i doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by harryzgnilek, Jan 23, 2014.

1. harryzgnilek

harryzgnilek Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2013
    P1080073. P1150022. P1180017. P1180024.
    Hi all

recently upgraded to the em1 from the ep5 ... I notice the quality of the em1 not as good as the EP5?
    am I doing something wrong
    the EM1 will take a decent picture sometimes ,but almost all pics from the EP5 were great.
    thanks

2. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    What are your complaints about them? I don't own either, but most cameras have settings in regards to color, sharpness, contrast and so on (and often presets like "vivid","natural"). Play around with them. Maybe your personal preference is to get a bit more "pop".

3. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    What about the quality is not as good?

The pictures posted are of less than interesting subject matter, with less than ideal lighting.

4. harryzgnilek

Jul 19, 2013
    the ep5 was more vivid and sharper with the same settings
    and PP

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    This would be very interesting if you could explain and maybe illustrate with examples ;
    Until then ... it just seems doubtful, considering the very similar sensor and camera design.

Another thing : how is going from e-P5 to E-M1 an upgrade unless you are primarily using continuous focus tracking with 4/3rds lenses?
    Sidegrade is now a word.

• Like Like x 1
  6. harryzgnilek

Jul 19, 2013
    Handling of the EM1 is amazing compared to the EP5.. Size is amazing too for what it is
    also the 12-40 needs the EM1 as far as balance

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    - RAW or JPG?
    - Are you sure the settings for the JPG (assuming that) are the same? Same picture mode, same settings within the picture mode (not sure those are identical)
    - It's winter. Hardly anything in the northern hemisphere is currently 'vividly' coloured.

The shots you've posted look fine, just not terribly interesting. The light's flat, neutral, and (corner) sharpness looks just fine (insofar as you can judge at these sizes). If anything, I find my E-M1 shots are a tad sharper/require less post-porcessing sharpening than the E-M5 did - oversharpening is a real risk (doesn't look good).

8. harryzgnilek

Jul 19, 2013
    I shoot both Raw and JPG..

settings are pretty much identical.
    True about the light, but I do not find it that sharp, dynamic ,Vivid with the same lenses I used on the EP% including the 75 1.8

9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Take both cameras out, shoot the same scene with the same lenses, post files to compare. I haven't noticed a difference between the shots with my E-M1 and those I shot with my E-M5 (same sensor as the E-P5)

• Like Like x 1
  10. harryzgnilek

Jul 19, 2013
    I would if I still had the EP5, but will post similar ones soon
    thanks

11. harryzgnilek

Jul 19, 2013
    takes with ep5

P9210220.JPG P9220276.JPG P9220283.JPG

12. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
  13. harryzgnilek

Jul 19, 2013
    thanks
    but its still not as good or my settings are off

14. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Anything is possible, so there might be an issue with your EM1 that did not exist in your EP5. However, as others have said, it's probably a difference of settings. I don't have the EM1, but I do have the EM5 and the EP5. I do find the IQ of the EP5 is wonderful.

15. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Take a look at Dpreview's image comparison tool. Looking at the jpegs, the EM1 looks warmer and more vivid than the EM5. As lots of others have stated, you are shooting in overcast light, looks like middle of the day in winter. All your shots will be flat as can get. The shots you like are from spring/summer and looks like a clear day. The fire extinguisher shot looks like CFL lighting and the shot of your half eaten food looks to be lit by tungsten.

16. harryzgnilek

Jul 19, 2013
    yes for fire extinguisher
    food was in bistro in nyc.
    I also notice more grain at 1600 ISO in the em1 vs ep5
    can the absence of the AA filter have a role?
    thought it would be better without one

17. Honestly, until you can post some side by side comparisons of the two, it's impossible for anyone to provide any input (barring the possibility that someone else has experienced the same thing). Can you get to a camera store to do a side by side comparison?

18. harryzgnilek

Jul 19, 2013
    I will try
    thanks

19. No worries. To be honest, I went through something similar when I upgraded to the 5D2 from the 40D. I wasn't entirely sure there was that much of a jump in resolution. In the end, I did a side-by-side comparison and found that there was differences in the 5D2's favour - as to be expected.

Not that this is your situation, but comparative photos with intact EXIF can go a long way in other forum members helping you out.

20. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Are you shooting raw or jpeg? Did you tweak your noise reduction settings? Probably best if someone with both could chime in.