1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM1 - cropped pictures how to?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Empireme, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    In my in-camera menu I set the crop ratio to be 16 x 9. When I view the image in my camera, it displays the image in 4x3 but with a 16x9 white border in it that has parts of the top and bottom not in the bordered 16 x 9 ratio. Is there a way I can move the 16x9 border to the top or bottom in the camera? I imagine there's a way to do this... otherwise why display the image like that, right?

Lovely forum folks. Thanks for all the knowledgeable people willing to help on this site!

2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    As far as I know there is no means to move the aspect ratio borders around. I don't know what settings you have that you see a white border, I cannot duplicate that no matter which options I select in Custom menu J.

The borders are there to show you where the camera will crop your photo for the aspect ratio you have selected. However if you shoot Raw or Raw + JPG, the Raw file will not be cropped.

3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you save both JPEG & RAW then the size ratio border will be centred for the JPEG output & the RAW will be complete & then it can be cropped whichever way you want afterwards in a RAW converter such as Olympus Viewer or something like Capture One etc. If you intend to have a cropped frame then it is good to use it in camera some framing matches the intended view.

EDIT: I obviously didn't read Clint's comment before I did as he is saying the same as I was thinking. :blush:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  4. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Which menu? I never see anything like a white frame.

Is it possible that you are not in fact setting the aspect ratio, but some sort of crop feature?

The Aspect ratio is on the first menu, and is called Aspect Ratio. Have another look and tell us which menu item you set to 16:9.

5. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    When in view mode on my camera this comes up... The aspect ratio is 4x3 with the white border displaying 16x9.

20151028_101420.

But when I download the images to LightRoom the picture within the white border comes up... I wanted to see if there was a way to raise the white border in-camera so that when I download the file the top of the kids' head aren't cut off... I'm hoping this is possible... As always thanks for the help.

*When I'm shooting the shot, the lcd/view shows only in the 16x9 aspect. It's only when I'm viewing the pictures in-camera that this comes up...

6. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Strange. My camera doesn't look anything like that when I view a photo! What firmware version (I'm on 3.1)?

Yes, you can do it in the camera, I just did it. Go to the Play menu and select the photo. Then do a RAW edit and change the aspect ratio to 4x3. Save it. Then do a JPG edit and change the ratio to 16x9. It will display a green frame and let you move the frame up and down to where you want it. That's it.

If you have the RAW file you can choose the 16x9 crop afterwards in Olympus Viewer. I can't remember if you can do it in Lightroom as well. This is one reason I always take RAW+JPG.

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Unfortunately, LR uses the embedded aspect crop from the RAW file & you'll have to ask an experienced LR user how to get around it. For myself I use Olympus Viewer & Capture One 8 which does not limit the crop in RAW (in fact Capture One doesn't see the aspect crop at all).

I have finally discovered when & why that white border shows. It is only when using RAW only in Play Back (& review) but not when saving LSF + RAW (or any other JPEG size)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I just checked and it is easy to do in Lightroom. Simply click on Develop, then click on the Crop Overlay button. You can then drag the image to select the area you want.

So it can be done in the camera or in Olympus Viewer or in Lightroom.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Once you have loaded your raw files into Lightroom, you will see the image displayed as if cropped (the area shown within the white border, on the back of the camera).
    If you select the image, and look closely at the thumbnail in the bottom row, you will see the crop symbol displayed bottom right, within the thumbnail. Click on this, and the full Raw area will be displayed, along with the selected crop. You can now move the image within the crop area. Once you have made you amendment, hit return.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Ahh, Ok when you are in review or play back of an image already taken! And then only when shooting RAW only.

• Agree Agree x 2