1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM1 anyone had problems with IBIS since FW 4.0 Uppdate ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Robstar1963, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    I have just bought a new but old stock EM1 at a good price which is still at Firmware Version 1
    Would be very keen to update to the latest version 4.0 to get all of the latest features
    However I have read on another forum thread that quite a few EM1 owners have noticed sporadic results with IBIS since updating to V4.0 ( a request has been sent to Olympus to look into the possibility of a FW "glitch")
    If there is a glitch caused by the update it might be due to changes updated to the IBIS to enable the new "Sync IS" dual IS system to work on the new 300 f4.0
    Some are reporting that images are sometimes as previously expected but are sporadically / almost randomly blurred - the camera behaving differently to their previous experience pre V4.0 update
    I am reluctant to update the FW to V4.0 if there is an issue but unfortunately can't get the zero Anto Shock without it as I don't think that I would be able to upload an earlier version as an interim measure ?
    Regards
    Rob

2. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Apparently this potential issue has been noted on both EM1 and in some cases multiple EM1s and EM5 Mk2 bodies which would perhaps point towards FW. v4.0 ( and v2.0 and 2.1 on Mk2) updates for Syn IS if indeed there is an issue following latest updates

3. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    So far so good on my E-M1 + FW 4.0, I hope this is not a serious problem. At least if it is a problem I hope Olympus is quick to respond with FW 4.1
    Bobby :coffee-30:

4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The IBIS works better with every lens I've tried so far with V4. FWIW, I have it set to IS-AUTO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

IBIS is not foolproof, at low shutter speeds there's always going to be sporadic failures... No problems that I can see compared to before. I can still hand hold a wide angle at base ISO after sunset and ISO400 at blue hour...

6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My E-M1 on FW 4.0 is fine. Go for it & update! There's a heck of a lot you're missing out on if you don't update.

7. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    No problem here.
    (All lens stabilisation systems have a percentage of shots which blur at slow speeds.)

8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    No problems at all, if anything it's better with the new EFCS shutter.

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    No issues with mine that I've noticed.

10. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    No issues here...the the benefits of the FW upgrades outweigh the potential negatives. I love silent mode...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    It has been excellent. Did you update the firmware on your lenses too? Maybe nothing...but who knows...

12. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    No issues here on the EM1 or the EM5 Mk II all firmware updated to the latest. working great with the 40-150/2.8 at the long end as well as 75-300 at 300mm.

13. newphoto1

newphoto1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Colin
    No issues!

14. Chroaz

Chroaz Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 3, 2015
    Christopher Oldham
    Me neither - great upgrade, go for it!

15. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I keep forgetting to upgrade mine. One of these days I will get around to it.

16. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Here's something I feel like I've noticed but have no concrete evidence to substantiate. It feels like the IBIS is less effective at close focusing (like a foot or less), maybe only 2 or so stops now before risking blur. I did some tests at longer distances, like 5-10 feet and the IBIS seems effective to about 4-5 stops.

Now, I don't remember how effective the IBIS was before at close distances, so maybe there was no change whatsoever. Luckily I don't do much macro so I'm not too bothered either way.

17. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I updated my E-M1 firmware as soon as I unpacked the camera at the end of November. Zero problems with IBIS, but I'm having a very steep learning curve with the pile of functions and tweaks that this camera has!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  19. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've updated mine & will see how well it is as I get to try various distances & uses (right now it's time to go to sleep).

20. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Mine is working beautifully with 4.1.

I was sorry not to get the opportunity to enter all my settings again, it is good for the brain.

• Funny Funny x 2