1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Em1 and flash?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Mdb2, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Mdb2

Mdb2 New to Mu-43

Nov 13, 2014
    Hi all I am in the process of swapping over from canon, I currently have a good range of speedlites. Is there any way to utilise them with my new EM1 and 60mm macro. I do a lot fungi shots and need a flash off camera mostly, I have the
    270mk11--430mk11 -- 580mk11 and mt24 speedlites. I realise that Olympus do similar products but I am not happy to leave them languishing at home?
    Kind regards mike

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    If the units can be switched to manual, and I don't know of any flash that can't, then a remote trigger should work fine. You could buy cheap optical triggers and use the small flash that comes with the E-M1 to trigger the Canon flash units.

3. Mdb2

Mdb2 New to Mu-43

Nov 13, 2014
    Thanks Ray, I wonder if maybe you could suggest such a trigger that may work? I will not hold you responsible:drinks:
    Kind regards mike

4. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
  5. Mdb2

Mdb2 New to Mu-43

Nov 13, 2014
    Thankyou Paul, I will look into your suggestion
    Kind regards mike

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I use Radio Popper JrX Studio and JrX2 units for all my cameras (Olympus, Nikon, Fuji). These transmitters and receivers allow for remote power control of a quench pin power controlled speedlight. It requires an additional part called an RPCube,

The newer units are easier to change the power settings, but the older units will probably be easier to find used and less expensive. All the Radio Popper stuff is interchangeable as well.

The other benefit is kind of a hack. If you have a camera with an electronic shutter or leaf shutter, the Radio Popper units will allow for high sync speeds. With the Nikon D50/D70 cameras, I've been able to get Alien Bees to sync at 1/1250. With the Fuji X100 and X10, I've got them to work at 1/1000, others at higher shutter speeds.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mdb2

Mdb2 New to Mu-43

Nov 13, 2014
    Thankyou Andrew, I will check them out.
    Kind regards mike

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  9. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Personally I would suggest selling your Canon speedlights. I know you wont get particularly good prices for them but as they are expensive lights and you will certainly get enough to finance some alternatives. For off camera flash the Yongnuo 560iii (manual) flash is US$75, has a built in receiver and can be controlled (power and zoom) by the 560-TX transmitter (US$50). So 2x Yongnuo 560iii + 1x 560 TX = US$200.

My guess would be that you will have enough left over to buy a small but powerful Nissin i40 (US$249) on camera flash that gives you TTL and HSS (on camera).

10. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    If you don't want to sell your EXs and you're hanging on to at least one Canon body, I'd recommend getting the Yongnuo YN-622C triggers, and a YN-622C-TX dedicated transmitter unit so you can have remote power control with them on m4/3 gear, and (if you kept some Canon gear), wireless TTL/HSS, Gr mode, etc. etc.

Right now, m4/3 doesn't have any TTL-capable radio triggering system available, while Canon has tons of cheap ones in 3rd-party.

I use the 622/622-TX combo with my GX-7 and get remote power/zoom control, and I know that my Canon 580EX/580EXII speedlights are a bit more powerful and a lot more reliable than my Yongnuo flashes, and when I pop that YN-622C-TX onto my 5DMkII, I've got eTTL-II, HSS, the ability to set groups into TTL or Manual at will, power/zoom/settings control, etc. etc. etc. Basically the entire flash communication protocol (even wireless 2nd curtain, which Canon's system doesn't have).

• Like Like x 1
  11. azmerm

azmerm Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Phoenix
    Alan Mermelstein
    Inkista,

I was wondering if the AF assist light on your YN-622C lights when you push the shutter button on your GX7? I'm looking for a more powerful focus assist lamp than the one on the EM1 body.