1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM1 and CAF-TR

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Koru, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Koru

Koru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2014
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Interesting that quite a few don't get on with CAF-TR. I took the dogs (fast dogs, dodging as well as straight running) out yesterday evening with the little 75-300mmII, and ran off 1500 shots using CAF and CAF-TR. I had more keepers using tracking.
    An advantage is that you can see at all times when the focus is running off, and correct it with a quick dab to restart the continuous focus. It works well because I always find the initial aquisition of focus quicker than when using straight CAF. Olympus actually mention this technique somewhere in their literature.
    Cheers,
    Don

• Like Like x 2
  2. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    Don,
    Agreed.....I found that the CAF-TR worked well for me the other day when taking pictures of my dogs and birds in flight with the 40-150. I think the new firmware upgrade has been pretty good for this system.

3. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    I found caf-tr working better also and the thing is that you must follow you "target" with centar or around the centar with your em1 because em1 have pd-af grid only in centar of senzor so there the tracking will be the best !!

• Like Like x 1
  4. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    I have tried C-AF+TR when I was at a herding trial. Strong light, with a human, many sheep and a fast dog moving around. Once I acquired the dog, the focus point would follow it well if I kept it towards the centre like Voodoo64 mentioned. Even then, if the dog moved behind the human/ sheep or a sheep pen, the camera would sometimes lose track.

Once I saw that, I got out of the mode because I didn't want to try a new technique when people were depending on me for pictures. Will try this when I get back herding and I'm just taking pictures for fun.

5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I find that the CAF + TR works great when there is little to no extra subjects to track. normal CAF worked better in the crowds.

I also found that the CAF+TR worked reliably for video tracking.

6. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I tried CAF seriously this past weekend shooting my son's soccer game with my EM1 and the Oly 40-150 f4-5.6 R. It worked better than I expected, getting players in focus as often or more so, than my usual SAF mode. I tried it on Sequential-L, but it worked on single shot too. I was even able to get some shots on a fire department helicopter doing training flights into the playing field just below us. In SAF mode, I get a lot of hunting when trying to shoot a flying object in the sky. CAF worked well for that too.

Works much better than CAF in the EM5, which I quickly gave up on as a waste of time. I don't think the v3.0 firmware mentioned improving CAF on single shot mode, but it seems to work pretty well. I'm pleased. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. robertk328

robertk328 Going on a prime spree!

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    I was wondering about how this was going to work with the new firmware. I have an EM10 but I've been thinking about the EM1 for my kids sports (soccer for her, t-ball for him). The soccer is faster than the t-ball with an 8 year age difference :) I kept my DSLR for this purpose but if I can trade that in for an EM1 knowing it will work well, I may do that. Loving my Olympus system!

8. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    I switched form E-M10 to E-M1 a few months back. No regrets at all, especially with the new firmware upgrade. Much better autofocus in CAF. It's a pleasure to be able to track a subject in high speed shutting and have continued focus.
    I used to think that I would miss my 7D for sports, but getting comfy with the E-M1 and results are often better with this beauty.
    Looking forward to testing it with my 40-150 pro when it arrives next week.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    +1 on CAF on the EM1. I recently used CAF with my EM1 and the 40-150 f4-5.6 to shoot my son's soccer game after I applied the 3.0 firmware update. I was pleasantly surprised how well the CAF kept focus. I was using SAF previously and I would occasionally miss focus if my subject wasn't in the center. I don't use face recognition because it would focus on the wrong face! :)

The CAF worked much better than it did on my EM5. I don't know about the EM10, but if you want good performance on CAF the EM1 seems to be the ticket. Dunno how well it'll work on the EM5 II, so maybe someone can pitch in on that.

• Like Like x 2
  10. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    I started building my m43 system early last year, but kept a limited dSLR system (Sony A77, then A77ii) specifically for middle school cross country and futsal shooting. I was using a good – but not excellent – Sigma 50-150/2.8 with the Sony.

This week I bit the bullet and purchased the Oly 40-150/2.8 and have been really happy with my initial results using it for futsal this week. I struggled with the E-M1 C-AF last year (which was why I kept going back to the Sony), but the 3.0 firmware improvements have made a big difference for me. The Sony still nails initial focus more quickly (slightly), but the E-M1 is able to keep up. The biggest difference for me is the lens. The combination of the E-M1 with the 40-150/2.8 produces sharper, better-focussed images compared to the Sony with Sigma 50-150/2.8. Noise levels shooting indoors were comparable – the Sony is APS-C, not full frame.

One particular benefit of m43 for me in this case is not having to AF calibrate the m43 zoom due to contrast detect focusing. All of my Sony zooms have required some calibration, and the level of calibrations is not always consistent throughout the zoom range. For example, my Sigma 50-150 requires +6 at wide, and +8 at telephoto, so I've settled on +7. This means that I give up a little sharpness at both ends. I don't have that issue with my m43 zooms.

Just a few observations from an advanced amateur. YMMV.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  11. robertk328

robertk328 Going on a prime spree!

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    Thanks Patrick. I'd probably be using it with the 40-150/4.0-5.6 so the 2.8 may be better :) I appreciate the follow up!

12. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    Robert, I would think you'd have similar results with the 40-150/4-5.6 in terms of C-AF performance when used outdoors, though I've read conflicting comments on that. I don't have that lens, so I'm unable to test it. My assumption is that if you're using a lens with the E-M1 in C-AF mode and the PDAF display shows up while shooting, you're getting the benefits of the 3.0 firmware update with that lens.