EM1.1 Button function fail

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This is not functioning correctly.
Neither of the function keys on my camera (Fn1, etc), the HLD grip (B-Fn1 and 2) and the 12-40 PRO lens (L-Fn) react after pressing.
Changing a setting in the cogs Custum menu > B > Button Function doesn’t work either.
I tried Reset > reset > Full, but again no result.

When i (dis)activate a feature in the menu, it works fine, e.g. Shooting Menu 1 > Digital Tele-converter Off/On works fine. It just doesnt work via the function buttons.

Any idea?

bargainguy

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Don
You might want to see if you have the latest firmware update. If that doesn't work, perhaps a full reset.

The problems I run into the most with the 1.1 are a sticking first shutter curtain in cold weather, and the top control dial stops working. I have four 1.1 bodies and haven't run into Function button problems yet.

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Gerard, have you tried a hard reset?

Pull the battery out for 24 hours (and charge it). This causes the camera to fully reset to factory defaults. It might remember the date, but that's all.
Thanks.
I was looking for a way to force a factory reset, but didn’t know how. I’ll follow your trick.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Pulling the battery for only a day may not work since some models can hold charge on a super capacitor that is enough to hold basic settings for days or longer. Faster to go though the secret menus.

Here is how to do it...
  1. Press and hold the Menu button and power up the camera.
  2. Watch the LCD or the EVF (which ever you use) to power on and show standard info.
  3. Let go of the menu button and now give it a press again to go into menus.
  4. Scroll down to the Wrench/spanner menus, hit right arrow, down to brightness (3rd from top) & right arrow into that.
  5. Now press the Info button and then the OK button.
If you did it right this drops you to a black screen showing just
" OLYMPUS
E-M1
02 01 01 01"

at least on mine. That third line might depend on FW or settings? To do a full factory reset press and hold both the Menu and the OK buttons at the same time and after 2 or 3 seconds you will be presented with the reset menu. Follow the instructions on the screen to either hit OK to proceed with a full reset or power off the camera to cancel. If you factory reset, you will know it worked correctly if when you turn on the camera you are immediately prompted with setting the date and time.

Anyone who wants to try the above, go for it as you are not changing anything yet if you do not hit OK at the end. Simply power off the camera to cancel. I just double checked this method on my E-M1 and was able to get to the reset screen (but powered off without resetting).

Last edited:

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Pulling the battery for only a day may not work since some models can hold charge on a super capacitor that is enough to hold basic settings for days or longer. Faster to go though the secret menus.

Here is how to do it...
  1. Press and hold the Menu button and power up the camera.
  2. Watch the LCD or the EVF (which ever you use) to power on and show standard info.
  3. Let go of the menu button and now give it a press again to go into menus.
  4. Scroll down to the Wrench/spanner menus, hit right arrow, down to brightness (3rd from top) & right arrow into that.
  5. Now press the Info button and then the OK button.
If you did it right this drops you to a black screen showing just
" OLYMPUS
E-M1
02 01 01 01"

at least on mine. That third line might depend on FW or settings? To do a full factory reset press and hold both the Menu and the OK buttons at the same time and after 2 or 3 seconds you will be presented with the reset menu. Follow the instructions on the screen to either hit OK to proceed with a full reset or power off the camera to cancel. If you factory reset, you will know it worked correctly if when you turn on the camera you are immediately prompted with setting the date and time.

Anyone who wants to try the above, go for it as you are not changing anything yet if you do not hit OK at the end. Simply power off the camera to cancel. I just double checked this method on my E-M1 and was able to get to the reset screen (but powered off without resetting).
Thanks for this explanation.
i followed it and indeed my camera went to the factory reset.
Unfortunately however it didn’t solve the problem. Neither of the function buttons respond by pressing. On the other side it’s not a too big problem. I used magnify and peaking only when I had the OM 300 on the camera.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Sorry it didn't fix the problem. It is very weird that all the buttons would be non-functional as I would assume they don't all connect to the same ribbon cable or circuit board considering their spread around the body of the camera, I would expect some could fail but others would still work.

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Sorry it didn't fix the problem. It is very weird that all the buttons would be non-functional as I would assume they don't all connect to the same ribbon cable or circuit board considering their spread around the body of the camera, I would expect some could fail but others would still work.
I am not a technical guy, so cant comment on that. Fact is, that is the same case with al the buttons, whether on the body, the grip or the 12-40 lens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom