EM-5's EVF with Polarized Sunglasses?

nathan_h

Mu-43 Regular
I've not found the dimmer display much of a downside. So long as you can see enough to frame and judge focus, you're good. Judging colors and exposure based on the EVF is a bad idea given the essentially comletely uncalibrated nature of the EVF.

Leaving off the sunglasses would be a disaster though. The diopter adjustment is not sufficient for me to see anything without glasses, and in any case, switching back and forth constantly between glasses and no glasses would be extremely tedious.

Are you able to use the EVF with your sunglasses? Sounds like it. Are they polarized?

I actually set my EVF to b/w sometimes, just to make sure I am paying attention to composition in a different manner. So accurate color in the EVF is even further from my concern. I just want to see a clear image, of course, and not the splotchy one I get with polarized lenses. I'll need to see whether the diopter can go to +2.0 if I want to use it without my prescription sunglasses.... and then, of course, when I'm not is a super bright place, I'll have to remove my regular glasses in order to use the EVF (ie, indoors) which will break the flow too, I suspect...

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Are you able to use the EVF with your sunglasses? Sounds like it. Are they polarized?

Yes, I use the EVF with sunglasses, but they're not polarized.

I actually set my EVF to b/w sometimes, just to make sure I am paying attention to composition in a different manner. So accurate color in the EVF is even further from my concern. I just want to see a clear image, of course, and not the splotchy one I get with polarized lenses. I'll need to see whether the diopter can go to +2.0 if I want to use it without my prescription sunglasses.... and then, of course, when I'm not is a super bright place, I'll have to remove my regular glasses in order to use the EVF (ie, indoors) which will break the flow too, I suspect...[/QUOTE]

Diopter on the E-M5 goes from -4 to +2, so you may be in luck on that account. I'm not sure if an E-M5 is a good enough reason to try and get ahold of a non-polarized pair of prescription sunglasses, but I guess there's only one way to find out!

nathan_h

Mu-43 Regular
Yes, I use the EVF with sunglasses, but they're not polarized.

I actually set my EVF to b/w sometimes, just to make sure I am paying attention to composition in a different manner. So accurate color in the EVF is even further from my concern. I just want to see a clear image, of course, and not the splotchy one I get with polarized lenses. I'll need to see whether the diopter can go to +2.0 if I want to use it without my prescription sunglasses.... and then, of course, when I'm not is a super bright place, I'll have to remove my regular glasses in order to use the EVF (ie, indoors) which will break the flow too, I suspect...

Diopter on the E-M5 goes from -4 to +2, so you may be in luck on that account. I'm not sure if an E-M5 is a good enough reason to try and get ahold of a non-polarized pair of prescription sunglasses, but I guess there's only one way to find out!

I've got a pair of prescription glasses that have the transition lenses, essentially unpolarized sunglasses, and they work well with the EVF. But they aren't great sunglasses :)

beanedsprout

Mu-43 Veteran
I can't get my face close enough to the built in evf while wearing my sunglasses so I just take them off. Really a pain in the ass but most of the time I'm glued to the viewfinder anyway.

Latest threads

Top Bottom