EM-5's EVF with Polarized Sunglasses?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bongestrella, May 24, 2012.

1. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Just got back from a month-long vacation with the em-5! Wow, what a revelation, let it be said, I will be selling all my Canon gear in the next few weeks to jump completely to the m43 camp.

As for the real purpose of this thread, I have a question for those that already have their em-5's. How is your EVF with polarized sunglasses? Mine have dark blotches when used in landscape mode, but is perfect when in portrait mode. I'm assuming this is caused by my polarized sunglasses. This somewhat renders the built-in EVF useless for me since I always wear polarized sunglasses in bright daylight, and most of my shots are in landscape mode. Fortunately, and I must say, surprisingly, the rear lcd is perfectly useable even on a bright daylight.

I'm totally fine with this. But the thing is, when I tried my VF3 with the em-5, it actually worked fine on both orientations. I can see some dark lines but they are workable. So, is my em-5's built-in EVF working normally (i.e. everyone else's behave similarly) or do I need to have it checked?

2. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    The light from most LCD panels is polarized, so when you pass it through another polarizing filter (e.g. sunglasses) at just the right angle, the light is completely blocked.

As far as the rear display, it's an OLED display and not an LCD. It shouldn't suffer the same effects through your sunglasses.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    The EVF has some sort of (non-reflective?) coating on it. That could be it- I don't seem to have any problems with my sunglasses (although I doubt they're polarized).

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If I recall, I'm pretty sure the EVF of the E-M5 is polarized. Therefore, your problems are probably due to the double polarization as silvers says.

5. bongestrella

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Thanks guys. The fact that my VF3 worked fine, and not the em-5's EVF, just got me puzzled. While I'm hoping that it can be 'fixed', I'll be fine if it's normal.

Anyone else? Preferably those that have an em-5 and polarized sunglasses? lol

6. suoersta

suoersta Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    Guys, does looking through EVF in long term harmful to eyes ?? Is it the same thing as you place your eyes in less than 5cm far to an lcd tv ?

7. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    just put your sunglasses on top of your head, that is what I have done for years.:biggrin:

8. bongestrella

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Haha, while that defeats the purpose of the sunglasses, it's probably the way to go, but I was hoping that I shouldn't have to. Also, over the past few years, I don't know what happened, maybe I got so used to wearing sunglasses, I've always had to wear one on a bright day, otherwise I'll be squinting the whole time.

I can't, for the life of me, imagine why anyone would be 2 inches away watching a tv lol. Seriously though, I don't know if they are harmful to the eyes (never really heard anyone discussing it before, at least not at long lengths), but it can't possibly be good for your eyes, noh?

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I used to be that way too, and would never go outside without shades. Then I went for quite a while without sunglasses (I wear regular glasses, so I need clipons - which are more expensive and harder to find than regular sunglasses) and my eyes just adjusted to that and now I don't bother wearing sunglasses anymore. Your eyes will get used to it, either direction you go. ;)

I find it more convenient now to not rely on sunglasses... but I may have looked cooler with them on. lol. :cool:

10. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    I would think it is much safer long term to took at an EVF than through a standard DSLR. No UV and UV can contribute to cataracts. But really, how much time do you spend looking at an EVF? Not the hours that people spend watching a TV. I'm not at all worried about using an EVF.

11. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Been struggling with this and decided to search before posting a new topic (yay!).

Super surprised that using polarized sunglasses is so rare among OMD shooters using the EVF. It is actually one of the fatal flaws for me, in that I have to remember to bust out an old pair of "transitions" lenses when I'll be out shooting, because of the big blotches I see in the EVF when using polarized prescription sunglasses.

12. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    All my sunglasses are polarized, and after a few months with the OMD I've finally gotten used to popping them up to my hat, but it's been a struggle with my sensitive eyes...

13. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    As my sunglasses are prescription I have to remove them onto my head 'cos the diopter correction is also set for my eyes on my EM5 so with two corrections plus polariser issues it makes the EVF unusable!!

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Isn't the eye much closer to the EVF than the tele though?

15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'm super-surprised anyone would try to use a camera, especially an EVF camera, with sunglasses of any kind. Leaving polarization issues aside, why would you dim out the display? Personally, as a full-time wearer of eyeglasses, I have always felt that the best solution (IMHO, YMMV) was to shed the specs and either attach a diopter or dial up the camera's correction because I don't like losing the full view of the viewfinder data.

16. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    I'm able to see the whole evf even with glasses on. It's still plenty bright enough for composition with the sunglasses on.

The same way I don't like to turn the camera all the way off when out shooting, because shots come and go quickly, if I take time to remove my sunglasses, I may have missed the shot.

Shooting style is very 'ymmv' for sure, but it sure does make me wish for an oled evf :)

17. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'll vote for that (both) any day. :smile: :thumbup:

18. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    As I have polarized sunglasses on most of the time. The vf-4 is almost black. That's why I don't care for integrated evfs. Good thing is I can pop it on when I really need it.

19. vario

vario New to Mu-43

Aug 16, 2013
    It seems to me that when in landscape mode, the camera adds a 'polarizing effect' to the pic on my screen. It looks totally different than when in portrait or any other mode.

20. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I've not found the dimmer display much of a downside. So long as you can see enough to frame and judge focus, you're good. Judging colors and exposure based on the EVF is a bad idea given the essentially comletely uncalibrated nature of the EVF.

Leaving off the sunglasses would be a disaster though. The diopter adjustment is not sufficient for me to see anything without glasses, and in any case, switching back and forth constantly between glasses and no glasses would be extremely tedious.