EM-5ii Image Stabilization Issues???

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Smac, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Smac

Smac New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2016
    Hi Everyone! First time caller here but long time listener!

I have what I believe is a problem with the image stabilization on the EM-5ii.

Quick summary, IS is set to be turned on with half press of shutter. When using this feature on the camera I have noticed that there is quite a rattle inside the camera if there is any movement at all. It is noticeable when using any lens. It is really noticeable if using a zoom lens and increases with the increase in zoom. I also would say that there appears to be considerable shake on the displayed image as well.

I have tried every combo of file size saving settings, IS settings, multiple resets, different batteries, and every setting that I could thing of that could effect it.

I did send the camera to Oly for repair under warranty (New Jersey I think). It appears that the only thing they did was clean it and update the software. I am nearly 90% sure that there was nothing of this issue for the first few months of "playing" with this camera when it was purchased. I almost think that it was not there the first day back from repair and noticed it at the end of a two battery day of images and videos. Coupled with a camera that feels like a marble is bouncing around inside too, I now have zero faith in it.

The amount of movement inside the camera is like there is a very big screw loose. You can actually hear the noise when the IS is "functioning". Considering the shake, I was using the camera in an aircraft filming another aircraft through the window...the amount of shake seems ridiculous. There are also large and rather sharp shifts in the recorded image, not soft transitions but large jumps...no turbulence that day too. Nothing like any of the movies Oly made in the advertisements!

Any thoughts on this? Unfortunately, I'm in the Middle East (Dubai) and finding a display model is not an option to compare it too. I haven't even seen Olympus here in quite a while and the Olympus store closed down some time ago.

Thanks for any insight!
  2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    This is not normal. I think you have to send it in for repairs again :(
  3. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    I have an E-M5 Mk II with the latest firmware and I can hear a distinct humming when IS turns on, but nothing that I would qualify as a "rattle".
    I did not try to move quickly though, and I just shoot still pictures, not video.

Which means that it is not efficient? Can you take sharp pictures at low speed with it?

I would bet the contrary. AFAIK, you have to use high speeds to get sharp pictures from an airplane (helicopters are worse)

How does you camera behave on land?
  4. Smac

Smac New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2016
    AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I forgot about that. Mine doesn't do that anymore, it rattles.

Yes....In fact if I have the IS on half shutter press "off", It really isn't noticeable unless filming video. I just looked at a group of photos and they actually look good (one is great, very happy when that happens!).

Just tried out a slurry of shots and videos. It seems to work as advertised, unless there is a bit of zoom. Rattle and (video) results get worse. Other than feeling like a small marble is bouncing around inside, it doesn't seem to affect pictures.
    The image stabilization is working. It just seems not right. I think the camera is going back to Olympus...

When I sent the camera in for repairs, Olympus did contact me originally about the issue. They said they checked the camera out and everything was fine. This I'm guessing is why I am uncertain if it is working correctly or not. The humming comment really helps... I forgot about that completely.

I'm going to agree with the not normal comment. I'll be sure to post an update about the repair as there is nothing regarding IS problems online from other users that I can find.

Just looked at the Firmware (2.2) update...Looks as though the Image Stabilization was the reason for the update. Wondering if Olympus used that as an excuse/solution for my original repair. I was definitely on an old firmware prior.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Just to be sure - you're using native m43 lenses, right? Because the IS goes a bit batsh*t crazy if you mount a lens without electronic contacts and don't set the focal length appropriately. And there's no interference going on between OIS and IBIS?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. djtaylor7

djtaylor7 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2013
    Like Mattia I had wondered about the lens. Certainly IS with a manual long lens has to be set in the menu. Is there any possibility that the lens even if it is a u4/3 lens has a fault, and is not signaling the focal length. That would explain the no fault found when the body goes away for repair.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Mu-43 app
  7. Smac

Smac New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2016
    Using Olympus Lenses: M.Zuiko 12-40mm 2.8 PRO, 14-150mm 4-5.6 II ED MSC, and M.Zuiko 14-42mm 3.5-5.6 EZ ED MSC
    I did double check the Lens Priority I.S. "off".

Even though I'm using three m43 Olympus Lenses, I sent the (brand new, used never in the field) M.Zuiko 12-40mm PRO off to Olympus at the same time I sent the Body. Got a nice cleaning on a new Lens and lost my original box too; and no reports of a fault with it.

BTW, and probably a topic for a new thread, but I sent that lens (M.Zuiko 12-40mm 2.8 PRO) in with a report of "play" to the point it rattles too. The barrel hits laterally against the lens body at full zoom and is pretty annoying for a $800 lens. Guess that is "normal" as Olympus said no issues with the lens. I even stopped by the B&H Photo in NYC to see their demo lens and it had the same play at zoom. Of course the sales woman said they have the most abused demos in the industry...

I want to love this kit, however I really feel no confidence in it between the Body and what is reportedly an awesome lens. Come on, the rattle on the lens at full zoom even can be noticed on the audio on video recordings too. Guess that's why there is external mic inputs!!! (insert rolling eyes here)

I plan on replacing this (like new, hardly used in the field and factory cleaned, no original box now) lens with the Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm / F2.8 ASPH. I really can't get over the "lateral play". I make a lot more video with this camera then I ever thought I would and notice this "play" constantly. Coupled with the rattle from the Body, I would had thrown it out the aircraft window from 40,000 ft the other day...(after taking off the B+W haze filter first)!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    "On" or "off" will not change anything. This setting only changes the behaviour when you have a stabilized lens; your Zuiko lenses are not.

I just tried a Panasonic 12-35 and "lens priority IS" = "on". If the stabilizer switch on the lens is "off", IBIS works normally. If the lens stabilizer is on, the IBIS shuts down. Note that you can still hear a very discrete humming when IBIS is off, as the sensor is suspended by electromagnets, if I understood properly.

By the way I just tried the video mode (as I just take still pictures) and IBIS does not sound noisier than in photo mode.
    I have firmware 2.2, if that matters...
    Can you compare your E-m5 mk II with another one?
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  9. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    FWIW, my experience has been:
    • No 'loose marble' effect in the E-M5 mk II — that sounds like a fault to me.
    • At full zoom, there is a little lateral movement of the 12-40 barrel if I wiggle it, and if I wiggle it enough, it is audible. I've noticed it before, and I intially was irritated by it for similar reasons as those you state but, in practice, if the camera is vibrating enough to wiggle the end of the barrel, I wouldn't expect the IBIS to be able to cope anyway, so it's not an issue to me. Also, on my copy, zooming out a few mm cures the wiggle.
    • The lens hood does rattle quite easily, which could be annoying shooting video — are you sure it isn't that which is being recorded? A bit of tape would solve it. I know it's disappointing, but personally I'd rather that necessary economic compromises were made on a rattling hood than on more critical parts of the lens.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  10. Smac

Smac New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2016
    Follow up! (always nice to see imho)...

1) A big thanks to the people above who helped out in this. I appreciate the assistance all provided!

2) Sent camera to Olympus for repair. About two weeks later (including return shipping time), I received the camera back. Noted on the repair was a replace of the IS system and complete cleaning. One day use and all is working as it should!

and...Olympus also offered to pay for the shipping for the repair as well. Very nice offer since I am sending it overseas to the US.

End result: Happy to have the camera back. ALSO, I am going to purchase another year warranty on the camera (99 USD) on the Olympus website. Figure that this camera still has to prove itself a bit and a 99 USD insurance is probably worth it.

It still bothers me that a lens of this quality does this. It is confirmed and entirely normal that the lens does this, and is noticeable in multiple inspections of retail models (not display) and the Olympus tech support team. (Cool bunch of guys in tech support, they answer email immediately and provide links to some cool videos too.) Since I am shooting video from an aircraft (video=turbulence always), I think this is a deal breaker for me and will replace the lens. It is only a very small movement as mentioned in the above post. On my model, the lens hood is very secure so no noise there.

Anyone interested in a very slightly used (in perfect condition), Olympus cleaned M.Zuiko 12-40mm 2.8 PRO, 4 months left on international warranty? Will post in Buy and Sell soon!
    • Like Like x 1