1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM-5ii HDR mode saved in the Exif?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ian., Apr 17, 2016.

1. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    If I use the EM-5 HDR mode, when you play back the images on the camera it shows you that HDR mode was used. A little icon [HDR] appears. Nice hey?
    My Question: Is it possible to find this information on the PC in the images EXIF data somehow?
    Searching for "HDR" in the exif finds nothing.
    If it was hidden, I'd consider changing the file name automatically, when copying from the camera.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm guessing you dumped the lot using ExifTools? Maybe it's something obscure like a specific enumeration of bracketing mode or something.

3. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    No. I set the panel on the right to display metadata, in Digikam, then clicked on each picture. I even entered "HDR" in the exif search field to reduce the list to anything containing that. Nix.

4. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Nobody wants to admit they use the HDR mode hey?

5. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I have been wondering the same thing about my E-M10 images. After scanning EXIF using exiftool, I found that the "Noise Reduction" field is set to Auto for single exposures and "(none)" for HDR. Not very informative, but its a start.

[Edit]
    Also, I had found this earlier post, but it did not work for me for HDR1/HDR2 files. Further investigation shows that the "Drive Mode" exif field is populated with "[5] Bracketing, Shot n" when using HDR 5f 2eV, but not when HDR1 or HDR2 are used. In that latter 2 cases, it looks like the HDR merge is done in camera and the settings of the last exposure are used for exif.

Also, I do not see an HDR indicator on my E-M10 during in camera playback.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  6. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Thanks. Strange the EM10 doesn't display it. Hmm.