1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM-5ii EV steps

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by peteandthira, Apr 15, 2015.

1. peteandthira

peteandthira Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 27, 2013
    For those interested, it is highly likely that the next firmware update from Olympus will allow the EV steps for shutter and aperture to be independent of the Exposure Compensation steps. Both myself and another forum member have requested this facility and they have replied most favourably, including the words 'you might be surprised...'

(This means you'll be able to set both shutter and aperture in whole stops, like the good old days, which means less dial spinning. Then you'll be able to add finer adjustment quickly with the Exposure Compensation dial.)

2. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

Ooh! Now you've gone and done it!
    The rule of The Sod will surely intervene!

I am the other subscriber direct to Olympus regarding this not too menial matter. Anticipating a lengthy wait, I asked when it would be prudent to 'poke' them with a reminder. I was told to resubmit the query in about a month if nothing was heard.

But their response was encouraging.

Fingers crossed.

3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Maybe I just don't understand what you are describing but I fail to see how this is a benefit. Seems that I would have to spin a dial to move say my shutter speed in whole stops then another to move in 1/3 or 1/2 stops. Is this what you are proposing? If so I would just rather spin one dial, can zip thru them pretty damn fast, faster then having to move two dials. Sure hope this would be an option and not something I am forced to deal with.

4. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

Aye. I don't think you are understanding it. But that might be because I haven't properly explained it.

Currently EV steps are changed in the menu. 1/3, 1/2, or 1. The change affects ALL functions. Shutter, aperture and (important here) exposure compensation.

What is being discussed, and tabled to Olympus, is the ability (via a future firmware update) for the facility to change EV steps to aperture/shutter independent of exposure compensation. In a similar way to how the ISO steps are currently independent.

So, aperture and shutter can be selected by whole stop increments whilst exposure compensation can be tweaked by 1/3 (or whatever) increments - by rear wheel (or whatever.)

Just like a what proper camera should.

Olympus tech understood it and are, as they say, looking into it and the response was promising.

5. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Ok, I get what you are saying.............I guess some would like this option but I can think of a 100 things that would I would rather they waste their time on, like different colors for focus peaking. Personally I set my camera to 1/3 steps and I am fine with that. Back in the old film days it was easier (and I am sure a limit of current technology) to keep things simple at hole or 1/2 steps. Now I see no reason to limit the ability to get correct exposure by hobbling my camera to full stops. Just my opinion and as fast as that dial can zip thru shutter speeds I never felt like I had to many settings to go thru.

Edit - should have added the ability to set a minimum shutter speed for auto ISO. would love to be able to set it to stay above 1/1000 (the minimum shutter speed I need to freeze the head of a bird striking a fish).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  6. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

Aye. To each their own. It'd be a boring world if we were all the same.

But 100 other things? Sure. This was just the first!

7. photopoeth

photopoeth New to Mu-43

Apr 13, 2015
    Yeah, I agree to phocal. It's not a crucial feature for me, too, because it's nothing you cannot compensate right now. I really miss having exposure compensation in M mode with Auto ISO turned on. But as you said... to each their own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. peteandthira

Sep 27, 2013
    You already can choose between 4 colours for focus peaking, and you can already set a minimum shutter speed can't you? Try shutter priority with auto ISO, or manual if you want aperture control too. You can elect to have auto ISO in manual mode.

If you need help in finding those options, I'll gladly report back here. Your camera isn't hobbled by whole stops either - you can already set 1/3 EV!

Did I misunderstand your post??

9. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I just realized that this is the EM5 mk2 that they are talking about.........does it allow different colors for focus peaking? The EM1 does not, unless I missed something.

I know you can set 1/3 EV, their case is that they want to set the steps for everything individually. I just don't understand why you would want to or need to........setting anything other then 1/3 hobbles your camera in obtaining the perfect exposure. Yes, you can go from x to x faster if you only have 1/2 or full stops.......but is it that big of a deal given the advantages of 1/3 stops and the better exposure values?

No, I cannot tell the camera use a shutter speed no lower then x/xxxx. This is a real downfall in the software of the Olympus cameras. Would love to have the same ability for aperture when using shutter priority.

Yes, I could switch to manual but that brings up a whole other set of problems......like it is to slow. When shooting wildlife and the subject is moving from light to shade to light to shade, manual exposure is slow and you will miss shots while adjusting or get photos that are under/over exposed. Using aperture or shutter priority gets around that and the exposure comp dial helps to fine tune your preferences (like under exposing white birds or over exposing dark birds to keep the detail). Personally I see no reason to use manual exposure unless you using external lights/flash and an external light meter. I see so many amateur photographers messing around and getting frustrated trying to use manual exposure because they think that is what all pro photographers do. It is good to understand and no how to use it, but what is the advantage when using the exposure meter in the camera? Typically you are wanting to control shutter speed for motion or aperture for DOF when you make a photograph. Pointing the camera at the subject, setting your aperture (say we are controlling for DOF), then determining the shutter speed, then taking your photo.................all this using the internal light meter.........will get the same exact exposure as me using aperture exposure and pointing the camera at subject and shooting........all a lot faster, which can make a difference in action photography.

There are just so many things they could fix/change with the firmware that have no work around or would be a genuine improvement. Even little things like why do have to go to two different places in the menu to enable use of the phone app? I don't keep wifi on because of battery drain.....so when I want to use it I have to go to one place to turn wifi on............then another to enable the use of the app. Would rather see quality of life changes like that personally.

Just my 2 cents..........................

10. peteandthira

Sep 27, 2013
    The clue was in the thread title. EM5ii EV steps.

I did start this by stating 'for those interested'...!

Suit yourselves!

Ha ha! I'm off. Byeeeeeeee

11. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

Ha ha. No! Don't go.

This place is usually better than this.

Some folk in all walks of life just HAVE to 'know better.'

It was an interesting point you raised, for 'those interested.' If it turns out that we are the only poor old buggers interested and Oly do something about it. Then great. It was for just US.

I won't hold my breath but I'll be happy if they incorporate that with, as identified, a whole raft of other stuff that could be improved upon.

Still a great camera though even if we do have to dial a bit further on occasions.

NB. Perhaps I should have stated earlier that I am also a Fuji XT1 and X100 user - where the issues we talked about come as standard. We are a bit spoilt with Fuji's retro gear and everything has to be 'in an instant' these days!

Now don't get me stated on the EM5ii start up time! That's the EM5ii people. Oh, there is a thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Hi, you are well off topic but I will still make a couple of comments FYI
    Black, white, red, yellow

The EV accuracy is stepless no matter what adjustment steps are set for the camera controls. There is no loss of exposure accuracy.

Some people might wish it, but I wouldn't call it a real downfall.

Quite right. If M mode was perfect for everything, no serious camera would have ever picked up, P, A, S. It's not a set of problems though, it's just the pros and cons of using each mode.

There are reasons to use M mode with the internal meter. Once I am satisfied with the exposure of a scene I can then take all the photos I want without the meter changing my chosen exposure for every shot.

Also we can shoot M mode with auto ISO and get auto exposure control if desired while still controlling the shutter speed and aperture.

Since you don't have the E-M5 II I don't think you can make these comments. Wrong about the focus peaking colours. Wrong about the wifi too: I turn on my E-M5 II, tap the wifi button, and can immediately use the OI Share phone app to control the camera, geotag, etc.

In the wrong currency. :rolleyes-38:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  13. peteandthira

Sep 27, 2013
    Ok I'll give it a bit longer. For those who want 100 things improving, why did you buy it? Try a different camera!