EM-5 with monopod.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Does anyone use a monopod with an EM-5 or do you find the IBIS sufficient.
  2. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I believe there is a IS setting for lateral movement...haven't tried it though.
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hi Dave!

I use a Canon 100 model monopod, generally when I have the Panasonic 45-200 zoom lens mounted. I have a quick release footplate mounted to facilitate using the monopod.

Amazon.com: Canon Monopod 100 for SLR Cameras & Lenses: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Sima Quick Connect for Tripod: Camera & Photo

The IBIS on the EM-5 is, of course, spectacular; however I find that shots made at the 200mm end come out better (for me) on a monopod. Bracing against a wall, railing, etc. when I don't have the monopod works well but I find that I get some hand tremor (probably due to age) when depending just on the IBIS.

4. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I use a sirui p-306 monopod for my omd everytime i shoot with the p100-300. Awesome tool to have. IMHO
  5. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Dislcamer: amateur poster

I only had a couple outings with mine but found it completely useless with such a great IBIS. Hand held was more stable and yes i tried the "3 point tripod stance"... For me, any stabilization was completely outweighed by the limited movement, reaction time, and freedom. I think monopods are pretty useless anyway but that may change in the future. Right now it's either tripod or handheld.
  6. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I'll use mine when I get a long lens for the OM-D. It should prove less fatiguing when concentrating on some distant object.
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    A monopod may be useless for you - but please remember that there are many professional photographers who find them to be quite useful. They do, however, require some practise and special techniques to get the best results. :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    IBIS on the EM-5 is OUTSTANDING. IMHO, it's more than adequate for hand-held shots, although I have not shot with extremely long focal distances. (I did just recently get the 40-150, but haven't played with it much)

I WILL say that a monopod may come in handy when shooting bracketed for HDR. I've gotten decent results when shooting a fast framerate while bracketing, but noticed that just a hair of movement will still cause a slight shift from image to image, and it has lead to a little chromatic aberration on a few HDR shots. (TBH, it may have also been movement of the subject - I see it most in trees and branches, which may have been moving at the time.)

I still have a monopod, but haven't used it yet.
  9. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    I've done lots of testing on this & I use them lots. Look at sports photo pros - they all use them if light is weak.

The value of a monopod depends on lots of factors - light levels of course, lens FL & aperture, your steadiness, your IQ goals, subject, mobility needs, lens weight to name a few. Also IBIS has strengths & weaknesses. For example it is less effective for long light weight lenses like the native XXX-300mm. So this is a tradeoff question where the best answer is - it depends.

From my testing, IBIS @ 300mm adds one stop for me & a monopod adds another stop. So I can reliably shoot at 1/160 w/ both. Remember, this is effectively a 600mm lens. I can shoot a slower shutter speeds w/ a heavy adapted lens.

I've used a monopod for WA IR photos w/ a dark red filter. Typical shutter speeds are 1/2. IBIS+monopod work well here.

The reduced mobility is the major trade-off. Its almost as easy to cart a tripod w/ camera attached as it is to use a monopod. So if I had to bring only one, it would be a tripod. I can always use the tripod as a monopod. I often bring both when traveling because mobility is more important then. Both my pods have QRs on them so I can attach a camera quickly if needed.

10. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    BTW, I use a light 5-section Sirui carbon monopod so it doesn't cost me much to cart it around along w/ my Slik carbon tripod when traveling.
  11. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Monopods are not useless! They double as hiking sticks. Yak Yak Yak.
  12. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    I plead guilty as charged...:biggrin:.

Also for "hands free" operation when not needing the monopad I have a "key safe" similar to this one:

Amazon.com: Metal Belt Clip Key Holder: Office Products

on which I place the strap of the (collapsed) monopod when it's not in use.

The monopod doesn't get in the way and remains accessible.

13. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    And I went and got the Gitzo monopod holder, which I wouldn't have if I saw your post first. :redface: