1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM-5 which lenses to choose?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ward, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Ward

Ward New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2012
    Hi all,

As many of you I'm also wondering which lenses to choose for the new EM-5 which I'll buy soon. I want a wide-angle zoom, standard zoom and possibly the 45mm. I have kept my Nikon Micro 105mm and will buy an adaptor so I can use it as macrolens but also as a 210mm (in 35mm) tele.

1st question: I read that the EM-5 has a built in tele-converter (x2) which is the same as a digital zoom. Does anyone know whether the quality is still acceptable as I will not use the tele end that often I'm thinking of using my Nikon 105mm for this, which would then be a 420mm (in 35mm)?

In Europe the EM-5 is only offered with the 12-50mm as a kit lens but this lens does not have the best reviews. Buying the body and another zoom will make it more expensive so I'm tempted to go for the 12-50mm.

For the wide angle I'm doubting between the Olympus 9-18mm and the Lumix 7-14mm. Combined with the 12-50mm there is quite some overlap with the 9-18mm. I could of course go for the 7-14mm combined with a 14-150mm which would then cover 14 to 300mm (in 35mm) but both lenses are quite big and the mean reason I'm interested in M43 is the compact size.

Anyway any advice would be welcome.

Regards,

Ward

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Good choice on keeping the Nikkor lens!

Don't bother with digital zoom. Just take the full resolution photo and if you need to crop it digitally then do so in post-production. Don't throw away capture before you've even uploaded it to your computer.

Other than that, get a super-telephoto lens.

It won't cost you very much more to pick up the MMF-3 weather-sealed mount adapter and the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II in Four-Thirds format. This will give you a much sharper and faster (lens speed not AF speed) standard zoom with similar semi-macro capabilities (the m.Zuiko 12-50mm is 1:3 while the Zuiko 14-54mm is 1:4) and the same weather-sealing... but with better build. The Autofocus will not be as fast, and that will be about the only advantage you will gain with the m.Zuiko lens. You will be using your Micro-Nikkor 105mm with Manual Focus, so this shouldn't be a big deal. The Zuiko 14-54mm II (make sure it's Mark II) is CDAF optimized so it has faster AF on the E-M5 than the other fast Zuiko lenses (not m.Zuiko).

If you get the 9-18mm you will probably be getting it for the 9mm wide end mostly. The 18mm range is like a bonus for extra convenience if you need to zoom in and can't walk closer like with a prime. It's like picking up a 70-200mm zoom lens instead of a 200mm prime. You probably want it for the 200mm telephoto end, but the zoom just makes it convenient to back off quickly and easily at times.

So don't worry about the overlap... The ultra-wide portion of that lens is the most important part. Worry first about your standard zoom, then see what kind of budget you have left over. If you can get the 7-14mm f/4, get it! It's a little better in every way, but whether it's better enough to justify the cost is up to you. The 9-18mm is a great little well-performing lens.

3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The E-M5 (and all other m4/3 cameras) don't have a digital zoom, the have a 2x crop factor compared to a full frame camera, which gives a field of view (FOV) 1/2 of what it would be on FF.

If you have no m4/3 lenses, I would suggest getting one of the kits. Until you are actually shooting with the camera and a lens you won't have any feel for what the images look like. I suspect that you may be very impressed by the results with the 12-50. Just start somewhere and then find out what needs fixing.

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada

5. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Ah, the old digital zoom when is nothing more than a crop. No one who knows anything uses that. You do that in post.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's just cropping. If all you need is 4MP (assuming the lens is reasonably sharp, which the 105 should be), it should be fine.

The Panasonic 14-45 is the only native standard zoom that will provide a substantial boost. They're not that expensive, especially secondhand. Probably cheaper than adding the 12-50 to the kit.

You're not going to get to 150mm with anything smaller than the 14-150.

As to the wide-end, it depends how much you will use it. The Panasonic is hands down the better lens, and IMO well worth the extra cost, but if size is paramount, the Olympus certainly makes more sense.

DH

7. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    It's actually quite popular amongst Nikon full frame users, it darkens the viewfinder to let you frame accurately vs cropping in post.

A EVF would be much improved because all you would see is the final image.

8. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    If I order the Olympus E-M5, I will buy the 12mm, the 45mm and the 75mm (as soon as it arrives).

In addition to some great manual focus lenses I already own the 9-18mm, which is a great lens, the 14-150mm and the 17mm. I do not want to use only adapted lenses, so I really need native lenses. I want to have a set of zoom lenses, which I already own, and a set of nice primes, which I have to add to my collection.

9. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Actually, the digital zoom appears to be a crop that is resampled in-camera to the original size.

From Olympus: "One-push digital teleconverter function
    The one-push digital teleconverter enables simple shooting of telephoto pictures by doubling the image size with digital processing. This function can be allocated to an Fn button for shooting a 2X close-up picture with a one-push operation. When this function is used in combination with the optional M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm f4.0-5.6R lens, a super-telephoto equivalent to 600mm of 35mm cameras can be shot easily. The output image is a high-quality image with an original number of pixels provided by the excellent image supplementation performance of the new TruePic VI image processing engine."

And according to the manual that can already be downloaded, the raw image remains unchanged but with the crop being indicated in raw processing, though I don't know if this transfers to programs other than Studio.

Of course one can crop and resample jpegs in Photoshop, but I'm willing to give this option a try before I dismiss it out of hand to see if it is a workable option for birding until I can afford a 600mm lens.

10. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    By default, that's how the FF Nikons behave when a DX lens is mounted. It's not turning on a digital crop.

I would imagine that Nikon would get substantial resistance to DSLRs with an EVF from their typical user. The WYSIWYG aspect of a EVF doesn't out weight their disadvantages to some users.

11. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    High end Nikon's had it before the full frame. The Nikon D2x also had a crop mode. You also get the advantage of a faster FPS. Not sure if the EM5 is any faster when using it.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I don't think so. The main difference is that with the E-M5, it's cropping and then upsampling. In fact if you shoot RAW, you get exactly the same image with DTC on and off. With the crop modes on Nikon, you actually get different resolution RAW files. That suggests to my that the extra pixels are being pruned before or in the buffer on the Dx, whereas the E-M5 has all of them until the very end.

DH

13. Ward

Ward New to Mu-43

Apr 14, 2012
    Thanks for all your replies.

I think I'll go for the 12-50mm as for 200 EUR extra it's a good deal and I can later sell it and upgrade to a better lens (perhaps the new Panasonic zoom lenses that will be released later this year). I also still have a 52mm polarizer and a Nikon close-up (NO.4T) which will both fit the 12-50mm zoom.

I'm going to Yosemite, Grand Teton and Yellowstone this summer so definitely want a wide angle zoom but still not sure whether I'll go for the 9-18mm or 7-14mm. 9-18mm takes filters but 7-14mm is 2mm extra wide.

I'll try the 2X digital tele and then decide whether I need a better tele option.
    Any news on when the Kenko (Tokina) 300mm mirror lens will be available as this seems a very compact option for a 600mm (in 35mm)?

Regards,

Ward