EM-5 VS Nikon DSLR

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by sin77, May 5, 2012.

1. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Last Fri I just tried to shoot a corporate event using Nikon D300 and G3. The restaurant was quite dark and needed to use flash (SB900 was used on both cameras).

It turned out that D300 colours were very nice and bright, while G3's were dull and 'underexposed' kind of feeling.

I am looking to totally get rid of DSLR. Do you think the EM-5 will match D300 in terms of colours and brightness? Is EM-5 good enough for corporate events?

2. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Using the SB900 on the G3 is probably not the best way to test how the G3 does in flash situations. ''There was no TTL metering, no balance between the flash and ambient light, and you most likely needed to meter the flash manually to expect good results.

Unless I'm just mistaken about Nikon/Panasonic flash compatibility.

3. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I used auto mode on sb900 for both cameras. Did not use TTL auto.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    You can shoot the SB-900 in A mode as long as you dial in the focal length, aperture and ISO manually. After that, the flash can meter properly with your M43 camera.

5. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Are you using raw or jpeg, My EPL1 jpegs look better than my Nikon D7000 in good light.

Which settings were you using? Were you trying to balance ambient and flash or flash only?

I would buy a Olympus dedicated ttl flash and see if that helps before buying a whole new body.

6. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    for focal length what should i put? i mean m43 is half of full frame's focal length.

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd input the 35mm equivalent, so for example if you're at 14mm I'd input 28mm on the flash.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I don't expect that the E-M5 will do much differently than the G3 under those circumstances. I think both cameras are up to the task of shooting corporate events.

9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    But the E-M5 will do a much better (or at least punchier) job with colors if you're shooting JPEGs...

10. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    With an Olympus you have free off camera capabilities, it'll be more flexible than a wired solution, though investing in a TTL flash first might be a better idea.

To the OP, are you bouncing off ceilings? you'll have to compensate for light loss for the bounce and also, a non white ceiling will cause your white balance to be off, if you are also using a bounce adapter or a gel, you'll also need to compensate manually.

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    PEBCAC. Easily solved by selecting the appropriate photo style and white balance.