Em-5 vs Lumix G1 ISO setting - shutter speed

gislgun

New to Mu-43
HI
I just got my Em-5 and i have been testing it and trying to learn to use it. I have been using Lumix G1 for the last years and i also own a Epl1 so the learning curve isnt to steep but still there is overwhelming amount of manual controls to getting used to.

But there is one thing bugging me.

I use pana 20mm 1.7 and 50mm 1.8 (Canon FD) when im shooting indoors and ive noticed that I need higher ISO setting on the Em-5 to get the same shutter speed as my Lumix dose.

For example when i use the cameras in same environment and same meeteringmode i get:
canon 50mm 1.8 + lumix on A = 1.8 i get shutter speed 60-80 on ISO 400.
canon 50mm 1.8 + Em-5 on A = 1.8 i get shutter speed 25-30 on ISO 400.

I need to crank up the ISO on the Em-5 up to 800 to get similar shutter speed.

I have tried different metering modes and it shows similar difference between the cameras.

Might this be an exposure difference or just oly faking the ISO setting..? or am i just dumb :biggrin:

Best regards gislgun

vinay

Mu-43 Regular
Exact same thing with my gf2 and e-p3. 1 stop diff in stated ISO. This allows oly to look better in technical reviews.

photoSmart42

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Might this be an exposure difference or just oly faking the ISO setting..? or am i just dumb :biggrin:

Best regards gislgun

ISO rating isn't an exact standard (even though it sounds official) that everyone measures the same, so yes camera manufacturers play games with the reported ISO numbers. You can also see that when you look at ISO comparisons on DxO between cameras - they don't all line up on the same line. I wouldn't worry about it.

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
Sensors are often more or less sensitive than the rated ISO. DXO rated the G1 as about 1/3 to 1/2 more sensitive than rated. The EM5 hasn't been tested yet.

Fred

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Sensors are often more or less sensitive than the rated ISO. DXO rated the G1 as about 1/3 to 1/2 more sensitive than rated. The EM5 hasn't been tested yet.

No, but DPReview has found the E-M5 to be 1/3-stop less sensitive than rated.

Together with the G1's under-rated ISO, that could make for a 1-stop difference.

Best way to verify though is shoot the cameras side by side - same scene, same ISO, same aperture, same shutter speed - and compare the histogram in a neutral RAW converter like Lightroom.

DH

Latest threads

Top Bottom