1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM-5 still king?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by duke, Jan 23, 2014.

1. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    EDIT: Woo we got a FW update to give us small af boxes and iso 100!!!

Hey all!

I just recently sold my em-5 in preparation for a switch to the fuji system. Well that didn't work, I really love the stabalizer in the om-d and the lenses/other features/yadayada. Anyway, I decided to try out the em-1 and just don't get it. I never wanted to use huge 4/3 lenses on my om-d, but I guess the focus speed improvement is the big upgrade? I just don't understand what is convincing people to pay almost 2x what the em5 costs.

But whatever, to each their own, I'm just here looking for my trusty em5/p14 combo again and wondering if anyone else just prefers the em5 to the em1.

Happy shooting!

Duke

2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I"m still holding my EM-5, not going for the EM-1. How is your Fuji system trip and why it didn't work? I'm waiting for the new X-T1.

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    You said it yourself. AF improvement on 4/3 lenses is one of the major reason why some people chose the E-M1 over the E-M5. There's no major improvement in AF speed with native lenses. Another reason might be improved ergonomics and increased buffer, etc...

Since you don't use 4/3 lenses, and liked your E-M5, there's no reason to upgrade to the E-M1...

One more thing: I'd be more discreet with my choice of words for my title if I were you. This type of proclamation, even ending with a question mark, might irk some people...

• Like Like x 1
  4. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    The Fuji is a great system, just not really better IMO. Kind of my same thoughts with the EM5/EM1. The EM1 is a great camera, I just don't think it's really better than the EM5, at least for my uses.

Long live the KING!!! haha

• Like Like x 3
  5. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I loved my EM-5 but wanted all the features in a Pen body. So one day i tested out the XE-1 at a local store. After one minute, of AF testing, I decided to keep my EM-5.

Then the E-P5 was announced and I pre-ordered right away. No EVF hump, all the EM-5 goodness and some. Love it!

• Like Like x 2
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Mainly because I don't need an EVF I would rather have an E-P5.

• Like Like x 2
  7. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    I owned a second hand EM5 for a couple weeks before I picked up a new EP5 kit for about $300 below MSRP. Couldn't resist and I have to say I am enjoying the EP5 more. The one thing that hit me with the EM5 was the 1/4000s shutter speed which coming from a DSLR I didn't like. I like to shoot a great many of my lenses wide open in daylight to achieve a smaller DOF effect. I couldn't do that in some situations with the EM5 simply because it wasn't capable. The new EVF is a big improvement for me, although when using the EM5 I didn't feel I was missing anything... At least not until I used the VF4 and really enjoyed composing my images with a bigger and brighter viewer. Focus peaking is also a big deal to me as I use alot of legacy glass on my M43 setup. So as you say to each his own, I do think I will miss the weather sealing on the EM5. But to get the features I wanted without paying a buttload for body only on the EM1 I made that compromise.

EM5 prices keep going down and I will probably end up buying another one maybe if I do any extreme weather shooting. If you're happy with the EM5 I'd say stick with that, buying bodies now is more or less about the feature sets not the quality. Seeming they all help you make great pictures.

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The E-M1 also does full manual WiFi remote shooting, has a flash sync port, has a faster flash sync speed, has a faster max shutter speed of 1/8000s, does ISO 'low', has a better EVF, has focus peaking built in.

9. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    That's the one feature I wish the ep-5 had. Manual wifi

10. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I have both. EM1 has wifi, focus peaking, and PDAF (not just for 4/3 but moving objects). Slightly faster burst speed, better ergonomics. Still not as nice as the GH3 but pretty freaking close.

11. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    "The E-M1 also does full manual WiFi remote shooting"

Really that's interesting? I wonder why they don't just implement that on the EP5? Seemed to me like it was an App limitation not camera. Still not enough for me to pay $700 more for, I'd rather buy more glass.

I may also miss the PDAF but I also have a DSLR if I intend to shoot sports again. It would be nice for wildlife too but in reality I have found even my DSLR misses focus at times.

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And the E-M1's phase detect sensor...

13. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't think there is any way that the E-M5 is still king, but it may still be the right camera for a lot of photographers. Especially for the price. <$600 used is a crazy-good value imo.

14. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    :thiagree: 100%

15. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I bought the EM1 for my wife. I really like it better than my EM5 just for the better ergonomics and it feels a little more solid. Yeah, that's subjective. I can't say its worth an extra $800 though...EM5 is pretty awesome

16. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    The micro 43 manufacturers have basically been iterating around the same sensor for nearly two years now. When there is a new, improved sensor I'll think about upgrading my EM5, but until then I plan to run it into the ground.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  17. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    What's not as nice as the GH3? The ergonomics?

18. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

those are awesome features that i would love to have , but the price tag attached is way to much.

Yes this is what I would like to know. too.

19. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Wait a bit if you can. The E-M1 is everything that I wanted the E-M5 to be. That isn't to say the E-M5 isn't great, it was and still is a great camera. It is just that despite being an iterative improvement the iterations add up to more then it would seem. Here are my thoughts regarding the two.

20. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The E-M5 is a great camera for sure, but its ergonomics are its biggest let down. I live with it, but those squishy back buttons, half-hidden by the screen frame? - not pretty (especially since I'm a back-button focus guy). Am I rushing to get an E-M1 though? - no. The price uplift is too too high for the extra features or the improved ergonomics. For the moment, I'm enjoying the E-P5. It fixes the ergonomic issues of the E-M5 and has most of its features (except for the WiFi - I can't believe how crippled the E-P5's implementation is). I only wish it had an EVF...

Am I difficult to please!!???