1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM-5 software upgrade questions.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by silver92b, Mar 2, 2013.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I read that the latest firmware for the EM-5 is version 1.6 and by looking in the menu of my camera it says "body 1.2".

Anyway as I try to find out more about effecting the upgrade, I am a little confused. The Olympus site asked me to download and install the installer so I can upgrade to 1.4 first and then to the latest upgrade.

The trouble is that the installer asks me to connect the camera to my computer with a USB cable.. Well, the so called "Multi-connector" port will not accept any of the USB cables I can find. I don't think I received a cable with my camera other than the Video output cable which does mate with the Multi-connector port.

Am I missing something? Or is there some other way to do this upgrade? Thanks for your help/advise. :smile:

2. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    You need the proper USB cable. You can find them on ebay for less than $10 and in some cases even less than $5 but some of those come from china so pay attention to the item location.

One of the "features" of the Olympus system is that you must upgrade the firmware "live" via the cable. Some manufacturers you put the upgrade binary on the SD card and the camera loads it from there -- not the way Olympus does it though.

You're okay on 1.2 -- it works fine. Get yourself a cable though so you can get up to date and get any future maintenance releases that come out. I made most of my best photos with my E-M5 on firmware 1.2 which was on it when I bought it.

Did you buy it new? Is the cable hidden in some cranny in the box packing or something? It's odd for a new one not to have it. If you bought it from a brick and mortar retailer I'd go back and demand one.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    No, this is a different cable than the video out. All Olympus m4/3 cameras come with them.

Unfortunately, you can't do the upgrade without that cable.

4. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    what are the benefits to the update?

disregard. just found the answer:
    - The highlight and shadow control function was modified so the exposure settings are applied correctly at ISO 2000 or higher.
    -The issue that occasionally prevented operations during long exposures was resolved.

5. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
  6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    If you are upgrading from 1.2 you do have to do the update twice to get to the latest.

BTW at least upgrading to 1.4 is recommended...from 1.2 earlier the IBIS is always at full power making more noise and draining the battery faster. The 1.4 upgrade resolves this and makes the camera quieter (the hissing sound).

• Like Like x 1
  7. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    The noise is a problem and the battery life improvement alone would be worth doing the upgrades. I ordered a cable from Amazon and once I receive it, I'll try the 2 stage upgrade. I'm surprised that the cable was missing from my kit (or maybe I just got it out without paying attention and misplaced it.

At any rate, thanks very much for the information and helpful suggestions :thumbup: