1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Em-5 single point ael

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by peter124, Dec 25, 2013.

1. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

A refurb em-5 was waiting for me under the Christmas tree. Flawless condition, thanks Cameta!

On my epl2 I have ael set up to use single point metering. For some reason I haven't been able to do that with my em5. I go to gears, then exp/ISO, then ael metering, and select single point. This is exactly how it works on the epl2. But now when I select ael using the default fn2 button, the ael indicator comes on but the metering display shows center weighted.

Is there something I'm missing here?

2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The Fn2 default is Multi-Function, Highlight and Shadow, White balance, aspect ration, and zoom. Did you assign the AEL/AFL to the Fn2 button? if not, are you seeing the zoom screen?

3. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

Thanks Clint. Yes, you are right, f2 is multi function, but I did set it to ael. Slight brain fade when I said that was default. When I press f2, the green ael indicator comes on, but the ael metering indicator stays at center weighted. Center weighted is how I have set non ael metering.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Normally (I think) the E-M5 comes with AEL as default on the Fn1 button, but that's beside the point you are referring to. Unfortunately, Olympus software guys have not picked up on it (probably because others like me haven't reported it), but I do believe it operates as spot metering when it is set in the Menu as such, but does not display it in the symbol on the screen (& EVF) in the SCP when AEL is used. I have just checked & it does show as spot metering in the EXIF.

Hope you've been having a Merry Christmas all the same.

5. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

Ha! Very interesting, Ross. If I understand you correctly, you're saying that this is a bug? I'm not in a position right now to do a test, but when I get back to my computer I'll check the exif and confirm spot metering as you've reported.

Thanks and merry Christmas.

6. Ross the fiddler

Maybe not so much as a bug but less ideal (& not like earlier DSLR models) in the way it displays. Take a photo with AEL set up for Spot Metering & it shows it as that in the Play Back if you cycle the display format with the Info key to the thumbnail with details display. It would be nice if the Metering symbol showed (after pressing the AEL) & confirmed it actually was Spot Metering. The Stylus 1 camera does things in a number of ways similar to the E-M5 but doesn't have the option to select the metering method for AEL, but does have [...]+Metering instead (which is full time). I guess nothing will be ideal to the way we might prefer it. :hmmm:

Anyhow, wishing you all the best for what's left of Christmas & for the coming New Year.
    :drinks:

7. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

Quick follow up. The ael does indeed work in spot setting. I tested this by observing that switching from ael to normal on a scene with wide contrast did increase the ael exposure when pointed at a shadow area.

8. Ross the fiddler

Yes, but wouldn't it be nice to get a confirming symbol in the display screen when actually using it (i.e. AEL Spot). :rolleyes: :wink: