1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM-5 shutter release advise

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by newfie, Apr 26, 2015.

1. newfie

newfie Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2015
    Canada
    Ian
    looking for a remote for shutter release. Anyone tried any of the cheaper knock-offs and what's the benifit of the oly remote (other than quality)?

will be using this mostly in live time for long exposure landscape work...

2. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    I use a cheap one i bought from ebay. Just one button and ability to lock it for live time and bulb mode.
    It does the job but sometimes i have to wiggle it to make it connect to the camera.
    When it breaks (and it will, the build quality is far from good) i'm buying one from Olympus...

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I have a Hahnel one. It's not particularly cheap, but it's very well designed and made with both wired and wireless operation and a time-lapse mode.

4. newfie

newfie Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2015
    Canada
    Ian
    I'd be pretty bummed if my remote shutter stopped working during a shot. Especially during live time...just standing there watching my shot over expose, more and more.:dash2:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    Then perhaps the cheap option is not for you...

6. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Are you talking about a cable release or a radio or IR release. I have a cheap cable release from SDM but frankly, I just use the self timer more often unless it is a really long exposure.

7. BeeSharp

BeeSharp New to Mu-43

Apr 5, 2014
    A cheap wireless option would be a Pixel RW-221. Works well and haven't ran into any issues with it, bought it almost a year ago.

8. newfie

newfie Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2015
    Canada
    Ian
    Either one actually. Wired is fine

9. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I have three of the inexpensive ebay models that plug into the USB port. One is the simple button, about $2.99 shipped. The second is radio controlled model. That was $19.99. The last one is an interval timer for the same price. That model took me a little time to figure out, and I use it so infrequently that I have to figure it out every time I use it to make a time lapse video.

The first two had no issues. The timer model had a USB plug that was too wide. I had to file it down so it would fit w/o force into my cameras.