EM-5 Review

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JohnnyFJohnsson, Mar 14, 2013.

1. JohnnyFJohnsson

JohnnyFJohnsson Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2012
    Dusseldorf, Germany
    • Like Like x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Nice review. Just got my own OM-D and loving it too. However, having bought the EPL-5 as my first MFT camera, I'm finding that the OM-D lacks a few firmware features that its smaller and cheaper brother has:

- Can't assign Mysets to the dial functions
    - Can't see the current Myset being used
    - No HDR high-speed bracketed shooting
    - Reduced-size focus point is not "sticky" / persistent

These aren't big things, but it would be nice if Olympus could do a firmware upgrade to make the OM-D match the EPL-5.

• Like Like x 2
  3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Well said, Mr. Johnsson! I have had this camera for some time myself and I gave up the Nikon DSLR cameras I had to move into micro four thirds based on my experience with this camera. I love it.

Thanks for the review that confirms my own opinion, lol!

• Like Like x 1
  4. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Yes, and my quibbles as well since I do HDR. The E-PL5 is the winner over the E-M5 for some of the things you mentioned. You can assign the MySets to any dial position you don't use (I have my HDR set up on "Scene" mode which I never use) and go right to it.

I'm *hoping* (probably in vain) that Olympus would put these simple tweaks into the E-M5... but they probably won't, lol.

5. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Sadly, you may be right. :frown:

The Olympus engineers would probably love to put ALL the features in, but the marketing suits want to differentiate so you'll buy another camera.

Maybe someday we'll get a hack for the OMD that can add features, similar to the Magic Lantern hack for Canons.

6. Trinurse

Trinurse Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    I'm considering replacing my E-pl2 with the OM-D and was reading the review on DPReview and according to them there are multiple bracketing options. I do alot of HDR and also long as you get those bracketed shots you're golden. What else are you looking for? Am I missing something?

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The OMD allows bracketing, but you need to press the shutter for each shot. The EPL5 takes all shots in rapid succession on a single press. This makes alignment much easier if you're hand-holding. I think the EPL5 also does a wider range (but could be wrong on this - don't have the cameras in front of me now).

8. m_roz

m_roz New to Mu-43

Mar 15, 2013
    Thanks

Thanks for the excellent review. I'm looking into taking the plunge for an OM-D myself and this is only bringing me closer to the edge of the cliff... ;)

9. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Wow, that's awful. My cheap NEX F3 does amazing HDR, built-in. Really surprised the OMD is missing such things, and how poorly the bracketing is implemented (i.e. you have to press shutter each time, ugh).

10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Well, you don't really need to press the shutter for each shot. My 'bracket setup' is set to a myset and assigned to fn 1, auto ISO, high speed drive and a 5 shot 1 ev bracket. Hold down the fn button for the myset and hold down the shutter, which will fire off 5 shots and then stop. Or just menu dive for bracketing and set drive mode to high speed. To be fair, I find in cam HDR and filters and such a touch gimmicky, and unnecessary in a 'pro' cam - I'd they dropped the scene and art modes and added a pair of custom dial positions (because the myset implementation is crap) I'd be ecstatic.

11. bengtb

bengtb Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 7, 2013
    The OMD can take all shots in very rapid succession in a single press too, just make sure to set the camera not to take single shots but Sequential L or H.

Good luck!