1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM-5 Problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by charleychen, Oct 14, 2013.

1. charleychen

charleychen Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2012
    New York
    Hi,

I just started seeing this strange behavior with my EM-5. I'm seeing purple horizontal lines on the LCD and EVF. It's particularly acute when it's dark, or when I have the lens cap on. The pictures taken also seems to have some horizontal banding. Is this a firmware/software issue or is my sensor hosed? Has anyone experienced this before?

I've had the EM-5 for over a year, so it's out of warranty. So, I want to try to see if it's a real problem before sending it in.

Thanks.

2. C6REW

C6REW Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
    Chris Grew
    Hi,

Not heard of this one before.

Regards

Chris

3. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Probably a sensor issue thats what it sounds like,but I'm no tech.

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Sounds like the IBIS/sensor failure that has been reported prior. Does it get worse if you tilt the camera?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN70GxlJ_w0"]Does it look like this youtube example[/ame]

Whatever, you should send it back and hope Olympus gives you a break on the repair. It's a camera bug.

5. charleychen

May 13, 2012
    New York
    Just wanted to give an update. It turns out to be the ibis unit. $180 to replace.

The turnaround time was impressive. I dropped the camera off at the post office last Tuesday and received the camera back today. Less than 7 days including shipping time.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Is $180 for the total ticket price or just for the parts and need to add the $165 service charge? thanks!

7. charleychen

May 13, 2012
    New York
    It looks like it's $180 total. The repair slip didn't itemize it or even list the total. I was just a charge. I have to call them to get the details so I can get Amex to pay for the repair (extended warranty).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Felicity

Felicity New to Mu-43

Nov 15, 2014
    Apologies for bumping an old post, but I came across this page as I was having the same issue with my E-M5. Horizontal lines in landscape that disappeared when I rotated the camera to portrait.

Exasperated, I tried the classic fix-it we all remember from VCR days - I slammed the camera base firmly against my hand. Voila, horizontal stripes are gone. 20 minutes later and going strong - still no stripes! Cheaper than 180 bucks. Thought I'd share :)

• Like Like x 1