EM-5 OLED Screen Protector?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by vartanyan, May 13, 2012.

1. vartanyan

vartanyan New to Mu-43

May 12, 2012
    Just wondering if those of you with new EM-5s are putting screen protectors on your OLED screen. If so, is there a particular brand you prefer?
  2. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I did.I actually ordered and got it before the cam came so I could put it on immediately.It's just one of many on eBay.Don't remember the brand.
  3. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I got one of these on ebay: ACMAXX 3.0" Thick Film LCD SCREEN ARMOR PROTECTOR Olympus OM-D E-M5 camera body

Not thrilled with it, but it's adequate. Leaves some visible bubbles as some of the people who left neutral feedback have mentioned. Also, it's a smidgen smaller than the screen. Overall, it strikes me as a Dollar Tree quality product - must cost the seller only 50 cents and he sells it for $10!

I guess the German screens are better quality, but shipping might takes weeks.
  4. vartanyan

vartanyan New to Mu-43

May 12, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. Think I'll wander over to the mall and visit the Zapp kiosk. They make pretty good screen protectors, I hear.
  5. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    These. Not the cheapest, but very easily applied and totally bubble-free. A case of you get what you pay for methinks.....

Edit: Ah, assuming you're not in the UK/Europe, not available on amazon.com, sorry.....
    • Like Like x 1
  6. domke803

domke803 New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2010
  7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I bought a 3M Natural View Screen Protector for the iPad. It comes with two sheets of material. I used a good paper cutter to cut protectors for my E-PL2, E-M5 & D200. Between the two sheets, there's probably enough material for 10 cameras. There's no adhesive at all (they work like Colorforms). Just have to makes sure the LCD is spotless before applying.
  8. klarity

klarity Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    There are several German suppliers on ebay selling various quality screens, the highest quality being a 3M product. I went mid price, $5 for two and bought the Vikulti CVB (3M) ones from protectionfilms24.com.

It's a perfect fit, easy to apply, bubble free and virtually invisible. optically it's fantastic. BUT I've now lost touch screen capability!!
    So beware, protecting the screen may well come at the price of touch screen usability.
  9. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    I used one I had from an old smart phone and cut it to size. Worked out good
  10. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    I've got one of those on order, does it still allow the touch-screen functions to work?
  11. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Yes the touch screen still works fine with the Accumax protector.
  12. klythawk

klythawk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Nottingham U.K.
    Hi DekHog, thanks for the link, does the touch screen work with these fitted ??
  13. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I've ordered many things from Amazon UK and the service to the US is amazing. Nearly as fast as amazon.com. There have been books and Blu-Rays released in the UK and Europe that that you couldn't get over here until a month or two after the European release, "The Girl That Kicked the Hornet's Nest" is just one example. I got it through Royal Mail in less than a week.

I have a Giottos on my E-PL3 and the image is better if anything with the screen on. One of these on an OM-D would not allow you to use the touch screen. I for one don't like touch screens and prefer my screen to totally finger print free. We'll see.

I may just order one of these, thanks.
  14. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    After checking amazon.uk for the protector screen, I see that the OM-D is available there... I'm just sayin' :wink:
  15. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

There was more than one thread about this already. Many people mentioned that E-P3 protectors will fit the E-M5 fine. Dimensions of the screen are one thing but there is also the radius of rounded corners. I also bought one of the 3M Vikuiti films from protectionfilms24. Note: 3M ARMR200 based films (quite thick) will block the touchscreen. I'm using an ADQC27 film - already forgotten it's even there :) doesn't affect image quality. However this is my second ADQC27 film from the same supplier. The first one I got was covered with dust coming from cutting the film, and once applied had some bubbles I couldn't get rid of. The second one worked fine.
  16. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
  17. VisualFeast

VisualFeast Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2012
    Thats the one I ordered also. Giulio does a review on it here:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuB0M9i8GWI]Olympus OMD Screen Pro Guard Review and Installation - YouTube[/ame]
  18. frelwa

frelwa Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2011
    I bought the ACCMAX one too, and I'm satisfied with it. I do have one small bubble where a piece of grit got trapped under it. You do have to clean the screen carefully. The ACCMAX is supposed to be removable and reusable to solve the problem, but I haven't tried that yet.
  19. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Yup, the touch screen still works perfectly...... :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    You're absolute right. Today I looked at the bubbles on my ACMAXX screen protector and sure enough there was a spec of dust smack in the middle of every bubble. So my bubble problem is actually a self inflicted problem (caused by me for not cleaning the screen of all traces of dust / lint carefully prior to applying the protector).