1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

EM-5 Live Bulb feature video

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Luke, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I still think this is one of the coolest features in this camera. It may look like a novelty trick to some, but it will be invaluable to long exposure shooters.
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz4g-MFW_t8]Olympus OM-D: See Live Bulb Function in Action - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 4
  2. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    I'm surprised that they haven't made more of a deal out of this..

• Like Like x 1
  3. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
  4. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Agreed; it really is groundbreaking.

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    That's a cute demo, but it really doesn't have much to do with useful photography. How often do you photograph moving fire?

The real point of this, I think, is that you can take a long time exposure and watch the image "develop" on the LCD, and then stop the exposure when it's "ready." I wonder how useful it really is, though. Trying to use the LCD to judge exposure generally doesn't work all that well.

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I wonder if you can have the histogram activated too. I think it would be invaluable for long exposure shots. The light painting was just a cute way to show it off.

And I'd rather have the LCD to use to judge for exposure for 4 or 5 minutes exposures then pure guesswork. And there's no charge for the feature. You get it for free when you buy the $1,000 camera ;) 

7. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    No, but it will certainly help give you a general idea of exposure. Having experimented with night photography, I'll tell you that getting the exposure in the ballpark is the hardest part. Once you're there, fine-tuning is easy enough.

I can see it being useful for astrophotography, too.

8. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    For me? All the time.

I put on a fire event last Friday in Santa Cruz called Glow. A bunch of great imagery of fire was shot. Unfortunately, as ringmaster, I had to put the camera aside for the night and run the show. I did get to play with fire though. I'm the guy in the white jacket and top hat.

Glow, the Museum of Art and History, Santa Cruz

[​IMG]

Another example of our Glow event where bulb + fire = awesome.
    [​IMG]

A few more links of various photographers' works... My faves? Julia Held's smugmug gallery. You guys will like these.

Collection: 3rd Friday

3rd Friday: GLOW Part I | Facebook
    3rd Friday: GLOW Part II- A Fire Festival | Facebook

Julia Held Photographs:
    Glow Festival 2012 Part II - Julia & Lance Photography & Design

Lance Miller Photographs:
    GLOW Festival at the M.A.H. Santa Cruz Ca - Julia & Lance Photography & Design
    GLOW & FIRE part 2 at the MAH - Julia & Lance Photography & Design

Don Louv:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150613382086835.383629.696676834&type=3&l=2132ed5635

9. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    This will be very valuable to light painters.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheObiJuan

TheObiJuan Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2012
    Japan
    DING DING DING! :thumbup:

11. epsilon

epsilon Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 17, 2012
    woa...very useful

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.