EM-5 Live Bulb feature video

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
I still think this is one of the coolest features in this camera. It may look like a novelty trick to some, but it will be invaluable to long exposure shooters.
[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz4g-MFW_t8]Olympus OM-D: See Live Bulb Function in Action - YouTube[/ame]

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That's a cute demo, but it really doesn't have much to do with useful photography. How often do you photograph moving fire?

The real point of this, I think, is that you can take a long time exposure and watch the image "develop" on the LCD, and then stop the exposure when it's "ready." I wonder how useful it really is, though. Trying to use the LCD to judge exposure generally doesn't work all that well.

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
I wonder if you can have the histogram activated too. I think it would be invaluable for long exposure shots. The light painting was just a cute way to show it off.

And I'd rather have the LCD to use to judge for exposure for 4 or 5 minutes exposures then pure guesswork. And there's no charge for the feature. You get it for free when you buy the $1,000 camera ;)

EthanFrank

Mu-43 Regular
That's a cute demo, but it really doesn't have much to do with useful photography. How often do you photograph moving fire?

The real point of this, I think, is that you can take a long time exposure and watch the image "develop" on the LCD, and then stop the exposure when it's "ready." I wonder how useful it really is, though. Trying to use the LCD to judge exposure generally doesn't work all that well.
No, but it will certainly help give you a general idea of exposure. Having experimented with night photography, I'll tell you that getting the exposure in the ballpark is the hardest part. Once you're there, fine-tuning is easy enough.

I can see it being useful for astrophotography, too.

thinkcooper

Mu-43 Veteran
For me? All the time.

I put on a fire event last Friday in Santa Cruz called Glow. A bunch of great imagery of fire was shot. Unfortunately, as ringmaster, I had to put the camera aside for the night and run the show. I did get to play with fire though. I'm the guy in the white jacket and top hat.

Glow, the Museum of Art and History, Santa Cruz

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Another example of our Glow event where bulb + fire = awesome.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A few more links of various photographers' works... My faves? Julia Held's smugmug gallery. You guys will like these.

Collection: 3rd Friday

3rd Friday: GLOW Part I | Facebook
3rd Friday: GLOW Part II- A Fire Festival | Facebook

Julia Held Photographs:
Glow Festival 2012 Part II - Julia & Lance Photography & Design

Lance Miller Photographs:
GLOW Festival at the M.A.H. Santa Cruz Ca - Julia & Lance Photography & Design
GLOW & FIRE part 2 at the MAH - Julia & Lance Photography & Design

Don Louv:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150613382086835.383629.696676834&type=3&l=2132ed5635

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom