1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

em-5 is dying, fix, or replace?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by monchan, Apr 11, 2016.

1. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Have had my em-5 since they first came out, never had anything since and love/loved it.
    For a few years now have only been able to use manual, SP and AP modes image quality seems to be on the way down too. and now the video
    is unusable almost black. think about upgrading/ waiting for em-1 mk2,
    but in the mean time might look for a used pen series camera. I haven`t been
    around for a while and havn`t kept up with the olympus releases
    What would be a good camera to get used to tied me over if I wait for
    em-1 mk2 or even get the pen-f?
    Lenses all oly. 60mm macro, 45mm and 12-40mm.
    cheers.

NB not interested in a panasonic body as they have no english interface
    on their japanese models.

2. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    How about another EM5? They are so cheap now it's painful. Then wait and see what the EM1 II will bring us.
    EM1 I would of course be another good option with better ergonomics but more expensive.
    A Pen? Nah, what do they do that an OMD doesn't do better? ;) :hiding:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    thought about another em5, used over here are cheap. was thinking pen maybe for portability+
    any extra features the em-5 does not have. and the em1 ii later down the track.
    how do the newer pens compare with the ageing em-5? image quality or features.
    (features are not a main concern but might be fun sometimes)

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Do you mean the PEN-F or something like the E-P5? For IQ the E-M5 is right up there with the best of all 16MP bodies. The newer 20MP ones appear to give more resolution and hence detail (with the right lens and technique) but don't seem to offer much improvement in DR or noise. The E-M5 still appears to have lowest noise with long exposures.

The PEN-F is way better feature-wise (too many feature improvements and additions to even enumerate) but also way more expensive.

The E-P5 would offer 1/8000s shutter, pop up flash, EFCS 0s anti-shock mode, WiFi with JPEG transfer and remote shooting, but drop the EVF. That's about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Thanks for your reply. I just assumed there would be improvement in IQ over the years.
    Havn`t been on the forum for awhile or keeping up. The EM-5 has been keeping me happy.
    That being the case, yeah probably better and cheaper to just pick up another EM-5.
    The PEN-F seems pretty good and have been thinking about it, but could not afford one of those
    and an EM1 ii later, if I decide thats what I`d prefer.

Thanks.

6. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Since you seem pretty set on getting the E-M1 MII, I would get the cheapest body you can get a hold of, which will probably be the E-M5. Even if you get the E-M1 now which is a fantastic body, you'll probably be itching for the E-M1 MII when it comes out, thus making it not cost effective to get the E-M1 now.

7. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I have no idea about Japan's repair process but here in the USA Olympus has a flat rate for repairs. For the E-M5 it is $166 US. This is roughly 50% of a second hand one from private seller on places like eBay with retail resellers going for a bit more.

So the advantage of getting it repaired is that the price is still significantly cheaper giving you a known good camera when you get back than it would be buying a second hand one that may present its own issues after a short time of owning it. If you are seriously considering something like the E-M1 mk II when it finally gets announced repairing your E-M5 might be a good investment for the short term saving your extra cash for the new model later.

This of course all assumes Japan also has a reasonable flat rate repair system.

8. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    Seems your EM5's shutter is dying. Try increasing exposure compensation to see if there's any improvement. Shutter replacement shouldn't cost much even without flat fee repair service.

9. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Not set on it as such, its just if I buy something new I`d like to get somthing better
    than I already have. And if they are releasing a new camera this year it makes sense to wait and see
    what it`s like or if it`s for me. It might end up being too much camera. I just don`t know...

I don`t know if they have a flat rate for fixing it, probably do.
    Will look into that before I do anything.
    thanks for the advice.