1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM-5 ii large green rectangle question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dpswbab, Oct 16, 2015.

1. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    I have my EM-5 ii set to S-AF with single small AF point, but when I try to set the AF location on the touchscreen, I get a large green rectangle rather than the small square I expect. Does anyone know of a setting that might cause this? I have browsed thru the manual, but I can't figure out what the cause might be. Thanks.

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    On the E-M10 a small slider appears on the right and you can use that to choose the size.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  3. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    You may have it set on face priority in which case it will put a white and then green box around anything it thinks is a face. Turn off face priority. I don't see a slider like the other gentleman described. If go to SAF-M you can get different sized focal boxes.

4. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    I have tried using the right side slider, but it won't go below 3x. I have face priority turned off. Any other ideas? I welcome any suggestions you guys can think of.

5. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    3x is for the biggest rectangle. On my E-M1 you can move it to the top at 14x which is the smallest.

6. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    Thanks, Growltiger. That did the trick. I got that bar confused with the one for magnifying an image during playback.

7. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    One more question related to the size bar: is there any way to turn it off?

8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Press the OK button on the back of the camera.

9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is actually the magnified view function (via touch) & pressing the appropriate Fn# will then go to the magnified amount selected on the slider while pressing OK returns to normal, however this is also ideal for having a variable size (& position) focus box that is normally for Magnified times 3 to 14 which was the only means of getting a small focus area on the E-M5 until they released later firmware that gave the addition of a small focus target, but also still proves useful on all other models as well too for touch to focus & touch shooting.

10. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    Pressing OK causes the bar to disappear temporarily, but it reappears as soon as I touch the screen to set a new focus point. Is there a way to turn it off permanently? I apologize for all the questions, but I'm fairly new to Olympus and find the system rather complex compared to my Nikons. Of course, the Nikons are now gathering dust because I much prefer the m4/3 gear.

11. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If the Touch Screen is active (for focus), then that is how it works & touching the focus region it then starts the "touch function" & pressing OK exists that function, but.... you can also exit by screen touch on the left side icon (the same place for the Touch to Focus, Touch to shoot & Touch disabled). Actually, I forgot that there is also the touch magnify icon at the bottom right under the magnification bar as well, so all that can be done in Live View & touch screen without using any Function buttons.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015