EM-5 ii large green rectangle question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dpswbab, Oct 16, 2015.

1. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    I have my EM-5 ii set to S-AF with single small AF point, but when I try to set the AF location on the touchscreen, I get a large green rectangle rather than the small square I expect. Does anyone know of a setting that might cause this? I have browsed thru the manual, but I can't figure out what the cause might be. Thanks.

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    On the E-M10 a small slider appears on the right and you can use that to choose the size.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  3. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    You may have it set on face priority in which case it will put a white and then green box around anything it thinks is a face. Turn off face priority. I don't see a slider like the other gentleman described. If go to SAF-M you can get different sized focal boxes.

4. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    I have tried using the right side slider, but it won't go below 3x. I have face priority turned off. Any other ideas? I welcome any suggestions you guys can think of.

5. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    3x is for the biggest rectangle. On my E-M1 you can move it to the top at 14x which is the smallest.

6. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    Thanks, Growltiger. That did the trick. I got that bar confused with the one for magnifying an image during playback.

7. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    One more question related to the size bar: is there any way to turn it off?

8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Press the OK button on the back of the camera.

9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is actually the magnified view function (via touch) & pressing the appropriate Fn# will then go to the magnified amount selected on the slider while pressing OK returns to normal, however this is also ideal for having a variable size (& position) focus box that is normally for Magnified times 3 to 14 which was the only means of getting a small focus area on the E-M5 until they released later firmware that gave the addition of a small focus target, but also still proves useful on all other models as well too for touch to focus & touch shooting.

10. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    Pressing OK causes the bar to disappear temporarily, but it reappears as soon as I touch the screen to set a new focus point. Is there a way to turn it off permanently? I apologize for all the questions, but I'm fairly new to Olympus and find the system rather complex compared to my Nikons. Of course, the Nikons are now gathering dust because I much prefer the m4/3 gear.

11. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If the Touch Screen is active (for focus), then that is how it works & touching the focus region it then starts the "touch function" & pressing OK exists that function, but.... you can also exit by screen touch on the left side icon (the same place for the Touch to Focus, Touch to shoot & Touch disabled). Actually, I forgot that there is also the touch magnify icon at the bottom right under the magnification bar as well, so all that can be done in Live View & touch screen without using any Function buttons.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.