1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM-5 II High Resolution Panorama

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TassieFig, Feb 12, 2015.

1. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    • Like Like x 4
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Gigapixel stuff is always interesting. I could even read the menu on the restaurant board, though pretty ordinary.

3. milkshakeman

milkshakeman New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2015
    These are 171 pictures taken with the 40-150mm f2.8 @ 150mm stiched together. That makes an impressive image, even without the high-resolution feature.
    But, the artifacts are not *that* disturbing if you don't pay attention to it.
    Funny detail, if you look at the different clocks on towers and in the street you'll see: 10:15, 10:25, 10:30, 10:35... so it must have taken at least 20 minutes to take this panorama.

• Like Like x 2
  4. What are the uses that you are thinking of?

5. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    That is very cool. Thanks for sharing the link.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That is impressive. I'm not sure I'd ever make anything like that, but the result is nice to explore.

7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I am looking at it on a 5K monitor and it is amazing. I am sold.

8. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Anything without too much movements...

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Stunning!

10. It's fun to zoom in close on a computer but I guess I don't really see an application that would really benefit from being 40mp, let alone how ever megapixels this stitched image is.

11. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    if you can't see the benefit of such high res images well...*shrug* ...I guess we're different and that fine. I'm amazed by it.

12. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    I coyld use that in any situation where I could use 1 second or longer exposure time.

Like waterfalls, still days when no wind etc.

13. I think that you misunderstand me. It IS amazing to be able to zoom in and see so much detail, but in my normal photographic workflow and subsequent appreciation of an image the only time that I inspect an image so closely is when I'm processing it.

14. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    ok, I got ya. To be honest, it's the same for me atm. BUT, that is because there is no amazing details to be amazed by. I hoping that will change :wink:

I'm also wondering what would happen with the artefacts from movements if you use a bit longer exposures. Say, 1-8 seconds. That might smooth/blur out any strange ugly stuff?

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    With gigapixel photography, it hardly matters what type of camera you're using, as you're taking an awful lot of photos and combining them into one big panorama.

• Like Like x 1