1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM-5/II: bug or feature?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Hendrik, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    I am slightly perplexed by the behavior of the new body. Unlike the EM-5/I, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to turn off both live view and the SCP on the rear screen. The EVF works just as I expect but on this body it is not possible to dismiss the SCP from the rear screen with the Info button or in any other way except for covering the eye sensor (in which case the EVF lights) or turning on live view. It's gotta do a number on the battery, right? The manual is inscrutable and offers conflicting innuendo. Is it me? Is it the body? Is it Olympus? What does yours do?

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I don't have the em5 II, but I have the em5 I. I seem to remember having a similar issue... have you tried cycling through the evf/lcd change button (the one that is next the eye piece in em5 I, but somewhere else on the em5 II)?

3. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't have the em5 II, but I once had a Canon P&S with a similar screen setup. Can you just fold the lcd screen so it's facing inward? There should be a sensor to detect that position and just turn it off entirely.

4. jefft

jefft Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I had that same issue; best I could figure at the moment until I further learn the Olympus system is to disable EVF Auto Switch (under Menu J) and use the manual toggle (default Fn2) or as @MikeB@MikeB points out, rotate the screen inwards but leave EVF Auto Switch set to On.

Odd that there is no option to turn off the LCD but leave EVF Auto Switch enabled...

5. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    Thanks for your answer but, yes, I have. The issue I have is with the bit of the manual that states that one presses the OK button to show the SCP screen. In this case that is not necessary since the SCP only quits the field when the camera goes to sleep or eye to viewfinder, etc. There is no button press I can discover that will dismiss it.

6. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Does a half-press of the shutter dismiss it?

7. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    Very odd, indeed. The EM-5/I did that very well and reliably but, with this new body the same button presses do not produce the same result. The manual mentions that the SCP can be summoned by pressing OK but is then silent on dismissing it. The EM-5/I manual was more complete in this regard.

I tried your suggestion and what happened is even less acceptable - the SCP became unavailable either on the rear LCD or the EVF. Turning the LCD in didn't work well, either - the SCP again became unavailable. This all seems very out of spec and I suspect I need to investigate this matter with the store once they open.

Many thanks for your reply, btw.

8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The manual is awful. A quick scroll through the menu did not reveal a solution. I will play around with it more later.

9. Mr Moo

Mr Moo Rocket builder, collector of vintage air guitars

Sep 17, 2012
    SE Virginia
    Mike
    I'm not sure I fully understand the OP's problem, but try pressing the Fn3 button.

10. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    Thanks for the reply. In a word, no. The only thing that happens with a half-press is that a lens notification appears at about 1 o'clock along the top rank. Nothing I can find dismisses it (the SCP). It is constantly lit as long as the rear LCD is enabled and not being used by some other function.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The Fn3 will toggle the screens back and forth. I was sort of guessing at the OP's question as well.

12. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    Thanks for the reply. The Fn3 button works to switch LV between the rear panel and the EVF. No prob. What then happens is that

IF the EVF switch is set to on AND LV is disabled on the rear panel (with Fn3), there is no way to get the rear panel dark. The SCP is always showing. The problem, as I see it, is that constantly lighting the rear panel is an unwarranted and unnecessary battery drain - a real head scratcher.

IF the EFV switch is set to on AND the panel is flipped to face the body, it becomes impossible to summon the SCP on the EVF with the manual-specified press of the OK button (this works in the previous conditions). This is also a problem since it forces one into the menus for several of the items on the SCP one might have already learned to use efficiently having shot an EM-5/I for 1 1/2 years previous.

IF the EVF switch is set to off and Fn3 sends the signal to EITHER the EVF OR the rear panel, the SCP cannot be summoned. This also seems a problem.

13. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    The $64 question is that last, What does yours do?

The first return from the folks at the store I purchased from is that mine seems to match theirs in behavior. If mine is truly in spec then a firmware update can't come too soon for me.

By the way, I'm loving the camera otherwise. It looks to have appreciably cleaner high iso response (I try to limit myself to 3200), the shutter is much quieter (and the 5/I was always acceptably quiet) and the control layout is pretty nicely laid out given the limited real estate available. I love having the AEL/AFL button on the back (in the center of the 1/2 lever) and my only quibble is that, as a glasses-wearing, left-eye shooter, the conflict between my thumb and nose forces me avert my gaze more and be further away from the viewfinder. Oh well, there are ways around this, of course. I can always harmonize the two bodies and move AEL/AFL on the 5/II to the Fn2 button, as I have with the 5/I.

14. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    I am still confused. Can you take a video of said issue?

15. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If you enable LV/EVF auto switch and then flip the LCD facing the body you can operate the SCP with the OK button in the EVF. Don't know if this is helping or not but I'm also a bit confused... :hmmm:

16. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    I understand the issue you're having based on your description. My EM5II should arrive tomorrow so I'll check it out and see how mine acts.