1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM-5 IBIS vs. Panasonic OIS

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by londonfire, Aug 10, 2015.

1. londonfire

londonfire Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Western NC
    Hi, guys. I just got a 14-140 II and I'm trying it out on my EM-5. I've gone back and forth using the lens OIS and then the camera IBIS to shoot a detailed wall map and I can't say for sure if one method is superior to the other. I get hits and misses either way. The only sure thing is that you can't have them both on, they seem to fight each other. I've searched the forums and heard some people say the focal length you're shooting determines what system is best. Panasonic also claims that their newer Power OIS beats the old Mega OIS by 2 stops. What do you guys think, use the IBIS or the lens OIS?

2. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I've used Power OIS (12-35mm f/2.8) on a G5, and EM-5 IBIS with a variety of non-OIS lenses. The Olympus IBIS seems to be slightly better than Power OIS at stabilizing camera movement (IBIS is a clear winner over Mega OIS). IBIS and Power OIS both work well enough that they do indeed help you get sharp images at much lower shutter speeds than one would normally be able to get without a tripod, but can only compensate for so much movement and are not a replacement for good technique.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Since you are not returning either piece of equipment, you have the luxury of seeing what works best for you from trial and experience. But, I think that you have summed up the basics pretty well. A number of folks feel that OIS in lenses is more effective with longer focal lengths than IBIS. I am sure that you could shoot more wall maps until you drive yourself crazy, but I would use that piece of information as a starting point rather than an absolute, and let your experiences be your judge. It is certainly easy to switch between the two. Also keep in mind that if you are shooting at shutter speeds higher than 1/500th under normal conditions, that you may want to shut both off.

Good luck,

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've done a lot of experimentation over the years and TBh haven't found a great deal of difference between Oly's IBIS and the OIS in most Panasonic lenses. I've currently got the 12-35 and 35-100 lenses and they are no better than the IBIS. So, I just leave the IBiS on and forget about it - that way when I put an Oly prime on, I don't need to fiddle around changing settings.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  5. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    If you have good camera technique and steady hands, the differences will be barely if at all noticeable under normal shooting conditions.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I was browsing Canon's website and they claim that from an engineering standpoint a large lens such as a huge telephotos like they sell the in lens type is better. I am finding that the 40-150 Oly f2.8 takes more care to get sharp pictures than the 75mm Oly1.8, so the answer seems to be it depends.

7. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I use the OIS when mounting the Panny 100-300 on my E-M5II. I seem to get a more stable view through the EVF with the OIS. Image Quality is the same, however. I tend to leave the camera in "Lens Prority", so the OIS is active if the lens is a Panasonic, else the IBIS for Olympus glass. Just makes things easy.

• Like Like x 2
  8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    @londonfire@londonfire
    If you're getting hits and misses with either system then the shutter speed is marginal. Try using higher shutter speeds until one system pulls ahead.

You have everything you need to find the answer yourself.

Fred

9. londonfire

londonfire Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Western NC
    All good information, guys. Thanks. A few points. I looked at the data and my shutter speeds were too low, down to about 1/30 sec. in my basement where the lighting isn't the greatest.
    Gary, I checked my manual over and I don't think the original 5 has a 'lens priority' option. I could be wrong but the I know the Mk.II has a ton of improvements.
    I'm probably overanalyzing this and hopefully will get some keepers no matter which IS I use. Biggest problem now is deciding what can go and what stays home. Packing is very tight with the weight limits imposed by airlines in Asia. I just found out last week that they weigh your carry on backpack and the limit is 15 lbs. I usually carry that much in batteries and chargers for all my stuff.

10. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    You may be right, the "lens priority" setting for IS may only be available with the VII firmware.

11. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    a. a heavy lens is usually harder to hold steady.

b. I'm assuming you're comparing both lenses at 75mm, f2.8, otherwise it's apples and oranges.

re Canon, unless they sell bodies with IBIS then that's what I'd expect them to say.

Barry

12. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    A post of mine from another forum........

Get those shutter speeds up.....

After over fifty years mucking about with all this nonsense the fact that sticks is.... 'Get those shutter speeds up'.

The use of high/high/high shutter speeds is a reality with Oly M4/3, it's a revelation.

With such terrific IQ at high ISO's, IBIS, terrific lenses that can satisfactorilly be used wide open with M4/3 DOF being what it is, the sky's the limit.

Don't be afraid of high ISO's, if one is reproducing for 6 x 4.5 prints or web display then you'll never notice the difference......Well perhaps you will, they'll be sharper.

I regularly shoot macro/c'up, hand held, with a 75-300+tubes.

The ISO never goes below 800 and the SS never below 1/640, usually it's 1/1000 if I'm not using fill-in flash.
    The aperture takes care of it's self.

For 'SHARP' images, it's HIGH shutter speeds/ISO's IMVHO.

I'm a 'pixel-peeper' I don't mind admitting it, I've paid £££££'s for high quality glass, I deserve 'sharp' images.
    Either that or use the bottom of a beer glass, minus beer of course.

Please excuse me if I'm teaching 'granny to suck eggs, we all know it, but I don't think we always observe it.