1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

EM-5 IBIS manufacturing defect

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sprinke, May 11, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I thought I would post this even though it's secondhand information.

A fellow shooter is returning his OM-D EM-5 because of a serious malfunction with the IBIS.

Basically, if he points the camera up, down, or upside down, his camera crashes and requires a reboot.

Hopefully this is a fairly isolated problem.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Subscribed

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    i would assume it's pretty isolated. With all the shooters here we would be hearing a lot more about it. Let's not all turn this into a bigger deal than it is. But just to make sure, I'll shoot a whole day with it upside-down.....gotta work on a new grip. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    No issues here, but I do minimal upside-down shooting. :biggrin:

Seriously, would think this is fairly isolated (I remember 1 or 2 similar comments on DPR early on). I have about 1,000 clicks on mine already, and have seen no issues with the IBIS.

5. broadway

broadway Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    I have used it upside down with no problems:smile:

6. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I remember seeing that thread on dpr, and I tested my camera upside down too and nothing happened. Hmm don't remember who it was, wonder if he got a replacement yet or not.

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I've had random freezes, but this sounds pretty bad. Nothing new, the usual first round glitches of early adopters! :wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.