EM-5 grip question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mabelsound, Feb 17, 2012.

1. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

Does anyone know if the side grip for the EM-5 will be available without the battery grip? On Amazon they appear only to be sold together...
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm pretty sure not. Unfortunately.
  3. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    3rd party manufacturers to the rescue!
  4. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    You got that right.. I've been using an off brand, Ebay special battery grip for my 550D for quite a while now and it has been tough as nails.

I doubt I would ever spend $300 for a battery grip. I just don't need one that bad. And my thoughts are, save the $300 from the battery grip, add the $200-300 I was gonna spend on a general purpose pancake lens and Bam! I got me the funds for a Leica 25mm f1.4.

Than I'll just pick up a cheapo grip down the line when ebay sellers get their hands on the design.

Now if I had only intended on buying a grip... then I could actually use comment above to justify that Summilux purchase.

Might have to pretend I was gonna buy a grip. ;-)
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    A horizontal grip (just a grip, not that extra half-inch slice on the bottom of the camera) should be included. To call this a "pro" camera without a good grip is just hype.

To expect people to pay $300 just to get a usable grip seems to me to be Oly's first step in recouping the millions of dollars they lost to fraud.
  6. montaggio

montaggio Mu-43 Regular

I agree - only really want the grip. With the battery pack, it looks like I'll be almost back to the size of my DSLR, which is exactly what I am trying to get away from.
  7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Nobody includes a grip until the $3K+ market range, and $300 is a pretty typical msrp - it won't be that high forever, wait half a year and it'll approach somewhere around $225 or so. The camera has a significant amount of included specs for the price - I'll hold off for a $150-200 discount at retail for a few months, but the MSRP is honestly below what they could have asked for a well built, weather sealed body. Not a single person around here would bat an eyelash if the respective msrp range had been initially offered at $200 more at launch.
  8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    This is not the PRO camera, you'll have to wait till 3rd qtr, 2012 for that. :biggrin:
  9. montaggio

montaggio Mu-43 Regular

I know you can use the grip without the battery pack, but does anyone know if you can use the battery pack without the grip? Second shutter release, additional battery juice and extra controls could come in handy, while still maintaining a fairly compact kit.
  10. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    No. The tripod screws are in the wrong place for that.
  11. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    I was thinking that too, but as mentioned the electrical contact points don't seem to line up along with the tripod screws.
  12. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i wish the had a changey grip like the ep3... i REALLY like the larger grip on it... its PERFECT for me
  13. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

According to the OM D accessories there are two styles of grip and battery case either portrait or landscape and if you have the battery case that is the battery that runs out first leaving you with lots of time to change batteries.
  14. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    I like using grips on longer lenses - I'm definitely going to give this one some serious consideration to use with my tamron 300mm 2.8, and the grip would come in handy since that lens can easily be moved to portrait when tripod mounted.

Unless I actually urgently needed 2 batteries at a given time, I've always left the body empty and only put a battery in the grip. Saves on weight but gives the added ergonomics of the grip.

I'm pretty impressed with the way they have done the grip with the 2 pieces and fairly large amount of accessible controls, as well as similar dials to the body (which appear to be high quality and from videos I've watched appear to provide solid, clear tactile feedback). The 2 piece combination will easily be worth the eventual street price under $250.
  15. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Free grip with preorders in the uk is good enough incentive for me to go for one.
    A saving of over £200 is to good to turn down !
  16. montaggio

montaggio Mu-43 Regular

That is a great incentive to preorder. I understand that this offer does not extend to North America - too bad. But then, it appears there is a pretty wide price difference between here and Europe as well.

I think I'll likely buy the grip once my order comes in and I have a chance to see how it holds. The add on grip gives owners good flexibility with this camera. Interesting about the camera drawing from the grip first. Good to know. I've been shooting a Nikon D2H, so I hadn't even thought about that.
  17. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I did too when I tried it. But the built in grip on the OMD looks like a dimilar depth, if not a little deeper compared to the bigger grip for the EP3... Maybe not quite as much for the fingers to hook onto, but it looks like a very nice grip to get started. I'm hoping I won't feel the need for either the extra grip or battery pack (I've NEVER felt the need for a separate shutter button for portrait orientation). Hopefully the built in grip will suffice. I really don't want all that extra stuff turning this into a big camera.

18. montaggio

montaggio Mu-43 Regular

I was thinking the same thing when I frst saw the release photos. I'm trying to streamline and downsize my kit from my Nikon DSLR. This whole add on grip thing just turns the E-M5 back into a big camera. But the ability to put it on and off means I can downsize for travel, but throw it on when shooting kids sporting events, etc where that extra shutter release comes in handy.
  19. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Unfortunately not available in Canada!!!
  20. frelwa

frelwa Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2011
    It's not a freebie with the camera, but McBain in Edmonton is taking preorders for $299.95

Olympus HLD-6 Battery Grip - Canada, Edmonton, McBain Camera

Henry's in Toronto doesn't have a listing for it in their computer catalogue yet, but they made a note today to add one to my pre-order. :thumbup: