Em-5 dual battery question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by lowlight, Jun 3, 2014.

1. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Hi guys!

Newbie here, been lurking in the corners of this forum for some time now, and it was well overdue to sign up!

I have a quick question about the Omd-Em5 and the HLD-6

when its attached, and the battery priority is set to the one in the grip, does the battery status display the expected life of the one battery being used or both?

Had the camera for a month now but still havent figured this one out....

2. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Hi there - and welcome :)

The E-M5 (and E-M1) displays the status of the battery currently being used, so it will not tell you that your body battery is nearly empty while you're running on the grip battery. You will need to change the battery priority to find out. I admit that it would be a nice feature to be able to check or monitor both batteries, but I'm afraid that the camera does not monitor the power output of both batteries by other means that switching between them. I don't know if it's capable of doing it or not.

You probably noticed that it's showing "PBH" on the screen while using the grip battery (Power Battery Holder, that's the name they have always used for the grips). When that dies, the camera switches to the internal battery instead of initiating powerdown.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Thank for the quick and wery informative answer. It would be nice to be able to monitor both batteries.

But now i know that when i get the red bar i still got one battery left :)

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43
  4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    But this way you know when to swap out the one in the grip while keeping the internal battery fresh.

Certainly prefer it over cameras of old with them using both batteries simultaneously and you have to replace both at once.
  5. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

True Mikefellh, especially given that you have to remove the grip to get to the body battery. When the grip is dying I can replace the battery without taking my eye off the viewfinder. Simply put - when you know you've got a fresh battery in the other slot, you don't need to monitor it.