EM-5 cracked sensor, random or not?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by danska, Mar 11, 2013.

1. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I bought the EM-5 back on the 23rd of July in 2012. I dropped the thing within the first week of having it (out of my thinktank bag while changing stuff), which was a total bummer, but only scuffed the bottom plate and the top corner, grip was ordered that day. Most of it you wouldn't be able to see because the grip has remained on ever since.

I've used the camera extensively with the GX1 I'd only bought two months before primarily as a backup. I didn't do a shutter count before I sent it in, but I know I hit the 30k mark though as I was in the high twenties before I went to Hawaii and have run up another 5,000 or so frames since then.

Last week I was working out in Boise, took some shots with the camera my first day of the future in-laws dog, etc. Second day I worked from 8-6 and got back in my car to head to their house. Saw some great light falling up on Bogus Basin and grabbed the camera out of my bag, swapped the 45mm to the 75mm and noticed a dark spot in the corner of the screen. Thought, "hey this is weird". Took the lens off and it was clean on both ends. Put the lens back on, still there... So at that point I look at the sensor and see a crack forming in the lower right hand corner. The camera had been in my car in a parking garage all day with the Olympus 45mm attached, and randomly this happened. Later that night the crack spread and split into two. By the next day it was completely across the length of the sensor.

That day I went into the shop I got it from, talked with them about it, filled their form out, and then decided to call Olympus myself. Of course they transferred me to two different people, who couldn't tell me if they'd had similar issues as this. I brought up the fact that I had read on the board that another user had this same issue with his camera and that others I read about from searching (mainly in Europe) had also had this issue. To quickly summarize my understanding, the glass attached to the sensor wasn't adhered properly and caused stress over time resulting in it actual cracking.

Of course my problem in the matter is that the camera had been dropped before, I made the argument with Olympus saying that I've used it for months and many thousands of frames with no issues since dropping it. Unfortunately I can't really prove that and frankly after finding out the replacement cost was $163.xx, I just want my camera back.

I paid the expedited shipping and let them know that I'm using this for a paid assignment in a couple weeks, so I would appreciate their effort to resolve this quickly. I can't say that I'm super angry they didn't replace it for free and they did say they would make the camera in factory 'new' spec (so I'm hoping the bottom plate does get replaced also). I'll update once the camera has been shipped/returned, I paid for it today and was told it would start being worked on right away (15 business day turn-around).

Here is a pic of the sensor I took at the dealer with an EPL-5/60mm. I have one of the overall camera I'll put on later as well. Hey the EPL-5 has decent IS performance, this was 1/15th of a second! The dust/spit particles on there were almost entirely from me and the few guys at the shop checking the camera out, I promise it wasn't that dirty before that day.

Off she goes by J.Bower, on Flickr

Interested to hear your thoughts, anyone dealt with Olympus service recently? Is there turn-around time okay?
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
  3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Interesting that the crack in the cover glass doesn't line up with the one in the sensor itself.
  4. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    theres no dislike button here.
  5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I saw that on Flickr, what a bummer Joe :frown:

Stories like this make me a little gunshy.... I just bought an OM-D EM-5 used so I sure hope these issues aren't too common, since I'm out of luck on the warranty coverage! At least $165 isn't exorbitant for a sensor swap refurb, but I'm disappointed on your behalf that they didn't cover it.
  6. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012

Do you store it without a lens or body cap ?

Curious cause lots of dust and stuff inside ?

Keep us posted :) hope its covered
  7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
  8. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I've never heard of this on any E-M5. Very sorry it happened to you.
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  10. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
  11. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Like I mentioned above, it wasn't that dusty/dirty but I had the cover off for a couple of hours and let people check it out in the shop because they'd never seen a case like this.
  12. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Yeah that was the one I was referring to on here. His was covered, but also new and never dropped.

The random part for me is that if me dropping it 8 months ago caused it to crack, how come I took 30k pictures with it, without it showing up. You'd think they'd look at the shutter count and have use some logic..

The only other camera I've read this happening on was on a run of Leica M9s.

Thanks everyone else. It's a total bummer but what are you going to do? I have and engagement shoot scheduled, modeling shoot, etc. etc. I'm not getting paid for all of that but I'll make it up in gift cards if nothing else. At least it isn't $500 or something.
  13. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Bummer! Sorry that this happened to you, Joe. Hope you have the OM-D back soon!
  14. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Ahh somehow did not read that :)

Very strange and bummer
  15. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Where have you been?
  16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    That really sucks. If you were around I'd share a beer with you.

• Like Like x 1
  17. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    The last time I heard about this, it was a Leica M9.
  18. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    hanging out with my kids (4 and 8) last few weeks since I have a slow month :)
  19. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I've only seen one other post with a crack like this (I even think it was on THIS forum), so it's not lie it's common...certainly hasn't haped to either of my E-M5s.
  20. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    This is the sort of thing that concerns me with cameras with "floating" sensors for IS, like the Pentax K series. When they are turned off the floating unit "clunks", when it is turned over etc. When they are turned on, it is held in place. I try to handle them very carefully, as I am always aware that unsecured items can get damaged. But there is always the "accident" waiting to "get-s-ya".