EM-5 beginning to fall apart

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ted, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Hi guys,

I have an original EM-5 which I bought in 2014. It has now begun to literally fall apart. First the battery door broke due to fatigue of a plastic, internal part (got a new door on the way) and yesterday when I picked it up one of the small screws on the bottom of the screen fell out in my hand. I managed to screw it back in, but then noticed that another had fallen out at another time. Hopefully I can get another screw the same size and maybe lock tight them in or something, but it feels like what is otherwise a solid, well built camera there are a few weak points. I was wondering if anyone else had these issues and if there are anymore I should look out for? I'm just a hobbyist and don't really want to have to fork out for another camera at this point.

Thanks.

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    These are all known issues with the original EM5.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Yep. Your eyecup and strap lugs are surely next. :) Not to minimize the issues, but you should be fine to keep shooting.

4. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Yeah, I'm on my third eyecup haha. I will be sure to keep an eye on the strap lugs though, thanks for the heads up. I would hate to lose an expensive lens as well as the camera if it did drop! Does the mkII fare any better?

5. darrenleow

darrenleow Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Singapore
    Replaced my eyecup with the EP14 thats meant for the EM10, its a tighter fit and less likely to fall off

6. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Italy
    Nigel
    These cameras are not built to last. Nikon, Canon, you name them, they all have issues. My Nikons even from the film era became stickey as the plastic covering suffered in the Italian Summer heat.

The two second hand EM5's I bought dirt cheap are still going strong with no issues. It is the one I bought new in 2014 which has started to have problems with the SD card door, probably because this is the body that is coupled to my most used lens; the 12-35 2.8.

Do not talk to me about the EM5 eyecup. I have lost several.

7. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking Subscribing Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    I lost the eyecup on my EM5 and glued the replacement on with super glue, not had a problem with it in 2 years. I have had no other issues so far.
    I thought that the EM1 strap lugs were the ones to watch out for but have had no problem yet. The rear rubber grip started to peel off though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Broke the plastic mount of the eye cup several times. Thumb rest came off in the Namibian desert. In both instances repaired it with glue.

9. AllanG

AllanG Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Allan
    Have had mine since they came out. Never a flicker from it. The eyepiece came loose after about 12 months but a touch of super glue and it never re-occured

• Like Like x 1
  10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    When I had my original EM5, I did not have any of the issues others have mentioned.

I will say that the EM5.2 definitely feels and handles much better than the original.

11. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    Still have mine with Zero failures of any kind and I beat on this camera....I bought it when it first came out. Zero issues....

12. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    When did they come out, March, 2012? I got mine in June, 2012. I've lost three or four eyecups. Right now I have none. Th mode dial started jumping in year two. When it would flip between P and A on its own, I had it fixed in year 3. Other than that, it's year 5 and it works great. The only fault is the squishy buttons.

13. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Another fault that I had recently and forgot to mention was difficulty turning the camera on and it would turn off randomly. I solved this by applying some contact cleaner to the battery contacts inside the camera.

New battery door arrived in the mail yesterday. Only cost $10 (though postage was another $10) and I swapped it over myself in a couple of minutes. Salvaged a small screw from the old door that mostly fits the spot of the missing screw, so that should hold me over at least.

I love this camera and would hate to have to replace it, so here's hoping that now she holds out until the mkIII (or longer!). Interesting that some have had them this long with no issues at all, I guess it must just be luck of the draw? Mine does get used almost daily and I have dropped it once in the past also.

• Like Like x 1
  14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Mk II isn’t very old yet. ;)

15. fishone0

fishone0 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2016
    that camera is old in camera years but I wish you well on it I know I love mine--had a Nikon D50 and only lasted me a couple of years before it fell apart. no it was not the shutter it was the computer inside the camera. Yes I loved that camera but I moved on to an upgrade--the D80

16. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    USA
    For the eyecup, I replaced the original one (which was not very thick) with one of these:

Neewer 2-Pack Nikon DK-23 Replacement Eyepiece Eyecups | eBay

They are thicker and seem to stay on the camera better than the original. Only problem is that it might block the port for the flash (haven't tried).

17. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    USA
    Ted,

BTW, where did you buy the replacement door from?

18. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    The tinniest drop of transparent nail varnish should prevent screws coming loose, and it's easy enough to remove if need be.