1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM-5 battery options: BestBatt, UpStart, or other?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Stubb, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Stubb

Stubb Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Andreas
    I'm heading out on a backpacking trip shortly and can no longer wait for Olympus to get their act together with regards to batteries. I've seen positive comments for both BestBatt and UpStart BLN-1 knock-offs when searching this forum. Is one any better than the other, or is there another option worth considering? I'm not going the eBay route for a variety of reasons.

—Andreas

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm using the Wasabi batteries for both my E-M5 and E-PL2. They seem to hold charge just as well as the OEM battery. No problems whatsoever. They can be purchased through Amazon, from the seller Bluenook.

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    +1

4. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    I've seen 3rd party BLN-1 with 3 contact pins and 5 contact pins. Does anyone know if this matters in the current crop of batteries?

I'd imagine the 2 extra pins are where the 'encrypted' information are passed thru, which those 3rd party batteries are having problems with (OM-D won't show correct battery levels if you use it with 3rd party batteries).

5. Betinski

Betinski Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    I'm using Premium Tech Olympus BLN-1 Battery and Charger for my OM-D...holds the charge great and have had no problems at all. Enjoy your trip!

6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
  7. Stubb

Stubb Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Andreas
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought it best to place the order by phone given that Monday is a holiday and we're leaving next week. I ended up in Blue Nook's voicemail system both times that I called, but a helpful customer-service agent picked up the instant I called BestBatt. The batteries and chargers should arrive on Tuesday. I'll report back on how they work once we're back from our adventure.

—Andreas

8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I've bought batteries from BestBatt several times and never had a problem. Shipping is very fast, too. Not sure why I didn't buy from BestBatt this time, as it appears their batteries also allow the battery indicator to work. :smile:

9. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    I also had a good experience with the DSTE seller and product. The batteries seem to be slightly less juicy than the OEM part, but not by much. Whatever; 3 batteries + charger for 50 bucks shipped is a steal compared to $75+ for a single OEM battery. And after using the DSTE stuff, I wouldn't buy the OEM even if I could. :)