EM-5 and the Olympus Co. fiasco........

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    In light of the current fiasco with Olympus is it wise do we think to buy new Olympus gear at this time, guarentee's etc.
  2. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Business seems to be operating as usual at Olympus. The E-M5 looks like it's going to be a hit judging by the backlog of pre-orders. Savvy stock traders who bought stock in Olympus last fall at 6 dollars a share have nearly tripled their money.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Given the limited shelf-life of all things digital I wouldn't worry about it.

However, it all comes down to personal perception of risk -

* does Olys camera division have a future ?
    * if they go under will someone buy them and shore up the business ?
    * if I buy an Oly camera what are the chances something will break that needs to be repaired or replaced within the warranty period, and that during this time Oly fold ?
    * whats the shelf-life of an m43's camera and when would I look to replace it ?
    * over what period of time would I depreciate the cost (I tend to work on a two year time-frame but other people will have a different period in mind) ?

If you'd answer in the negative to the first three and have several years in mind for the last two then Olympus might not be for you.

Unfortunately, avoiding Olympus will lead to a self-fulfilling decline in the companies fortunes. The fact they managed to deliver some pretty awesome kit (gen 3 E-Px, the 45mm & 12mm, the OM-D) through this difficult period seems to speak volumes for their ability to focus on delivery in spite of their problems.

All IMHO of course. What do I know about camera companies ?
  4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I have great confidence in Olympus camera division, they have a great track record and the EM5 is proving a popular product.

The issues have been around financial management not product so in cases like this, there are always reputeable propositions in the wings should the company fold in it's current guise.

The credibility of Olympus cameras is such that should it come up for sale, interested parties such as Canon / Nikon may well be interested as a way in to a lucrative and fast growing market by way of a proven brand that they can continue in name and benefit from the format / customer base.

I am sure that if it comes to selling it off all existing warranties will be honoured.
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Wouldn't worry too much. Unlike with 4/3, there's little danger of ending up with thousands of dollars of lenses that can't be used properly in the near future. Panasonic also makes m4/3 bodies, and Olympus m4/3 is profitable enough that if they decide to leave the market, they wouldn't have a hard time finding a buyer for the digital camera unit.

6. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I would not worry about it I'm sure Olympus will be fine. Just shoot and have fun.
    • Like Like x 1