1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM-5 and new sd card question.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Exposed, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    I just bought a new SD card for my EM-5, a Sandisk extreme pro 95 MB/s SDHC. I inserted it and got a card error. I also inserted it in my EPL-2 and got the same error. Bad card or am I missing something. I just updated the firmware on the em-5.

Thank you,

Randy

2. ThereAndBackAgain

ThereAndBackAgain Fighting GAS

May 26, 2014
    North Devon, England
    David
    You've probably tried this already and I'm trying to teach my granny how to suck eggs but have you tried formatting the card? This happened to me a while ago and the card was fine after a format.

3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Just to ask - you bought the card from a reputable source, so it's not a counterfeit?

4. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    When I first insert the card into the camera, turn it on, I get a card error. Cannot go any further. I have always been told to format in the camera. Yes, purchased it from Amazon. After looking at the package, it does have on it "SDHC UHS-1 card" if that makes a difference.

Randy

5. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    See if you can format it in your computer via a card reader. If that works then it should then be recognised by your camera, and you can then format it in the camera.

6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Specifically, try using this in your computer: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

7. franklyadam

franklyadam Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2014
    My cards do this on occasion it seems in the e-m5, my fix is to load them in my Linux box and delete the partitions on it using parted. Then reformat I the camera, I've tried doing it in OSX but seem unable to do a low level format in OSX :(

8. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    That did it, thank you. I have never had to format a card prior to using it in the camera. Learning new things about digital all the time.

Again thank you everyone.

Randy.

9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Likely it was formatted with EXFAT, which your cameras may not recognize?

Barry

10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I don't claim to be any kind of authority but I've never run into the problem you experienced! Glad it worked. :smile:

11. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson

I have not had to do this before also. I was surprised and worried that maybe the card was bad and would not record images, but tried it out yesterday and all worked good. Going out today for more shooting so we shall see. Good thing Amazon is so good about returns.

Randy

12. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Be careful! Batteries and cards are two categories that can cause GRIEF. Sometimes a counterfeit can work fine and then the next day, bite you in the ass.
    I had an unmanned video camera in a church balcony giving me a wide shot of the stage. The four hour battery died about 15 minutes into the wedding ceremony. AGONY, PAIN, SUFFERING. I sent that battery and three more that I bought at the same time from the same vendor to SONY.
    You guessed it....counterfeit. I am not extra smart but neither am I a retard. I could not see the difference between a SONY battery and the ripoff. The batteries and packaging were identical.
    I carried insurance. The customer was not sympathetic and went for the throat. I was able to put something together but I know it hurt my reputation.

Amazon does not know THEIR suppliers any better than you do. Two years ago, a national retailer sold me some bad SD cards (I will never name them).
    I only buy cards and batteries from B&H. I actually buy almost everything from B&H. I wish they sold cars.