1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM-5 and Metz 58 AF-2 Question

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by bstuke, Oct 5, 2013.

1. bstuke

bstuke New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2013
    Lawrenceville Georgia
    I am Primarily an Underwater photographer, but recently bought this above water flash.

It has version 2.0 firmware and works well with the OM-D EM-5.

The challenge is the documentation shows the ability to turn the three beam AF light on and off on the flash, but that option is not there, and I cannot make it work. At all.

Thanks in advance if anyone can share some feedback as to getting it working!

I have changed all the other modes and such to see if it comes available, but no luck.

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    On most m43 cameras the af assist is in the camera so the one in the flash is not used. The documentation you read refers to the 4/3 standard, not m4/3.

Gordon

3. bstuke

bstuke New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2013
    Lawrenceville Georgia
    The EM-5 does have AFI, but it doesn't work well and is partially blocked by the lens. The three beam AF on the flash is significantly better. No sense in having this flash if I can;t use the features, 4/3 or m4/3.

PS. AF-Beam doesn't work on my E-620 either.

4. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    If AF assist from the flash is part of your requirements, you will need another flash. FL-600R is probably your only solution.

5. bstuke

bstuke New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2013
    Lawrenceville Georgia
    I must be missing something. The Metz HAS AF assist. I am simply trying to get it to work...

6. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    What you are missing is that it does not work for all cameras. From the Metz manual for my flash:

7. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I've never gotten the AF assist on the flash to work with any of my cameras, including the FL600R, which I don't believe has one. But it does have the little LED light that can help with focusing I suppose.

I'm using a GH3, EM5, EPL1, and GX1.

8. bstuke

bstuke New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2013
    Lawrenceville Georgia
    I finally got to the bottom of it. Metz sent me the previous firmware version and it now works again.

Unfortunately Oly decided to go away from flash pre(E-620, Hated it!), and put an LED on the EM5. Now the camera doesn't send a pre signal to the flash or shoe, so the Metz can't turn on AF Beam! Same with Olympus flashes as well. OOPS!

Stick with one thing Olympus! At least the AF LED beam works better than pre flash.

9. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    If the camera isn't sending a signal to the flash, how does it know to fire the AF beam?

10. bstuke

bstuke New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2013
    Lawrenceville Georgia
    Exactly. The E-620 was sending the signal, but the new Metz firmware was not working properly.

The EM5 didn't ever, has never, and will never send a signal to the flash according to Olympus.

That stinks.

11. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Ah, so you got it to work on the E620, not the EM-5, right?

12. bstuke

bstuke New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2013
    Lawrenceville Georgia
    Correct. It would be so easy for them to add a feature it select AF LED or AF Flash on he EM5. That would make it so much nicer!

13. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    That's because the EM5 uses on sensor focusing (contrast detect) There's an IR cut filter over the sensor. The AF assist is an IR type and wont play nice with the IR cut filter on the sensor.

It's a physical limitation, not just an arbritary descision.

Gordon

14. bstuke

bstuke New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2013
    Lawrenceville Georgia
    Gotcha, That is way more than I know. All I know is the EM5 focuses better underwater with the 60mm Macro and a +10 diopter than anything I have ever used before. And it is because of the stuff you talk about!
    _8280018.