EM-5 and Metz 58 AF-2 Question

bstuke

New to Mu-43
I am Primarily an Underwater photographer, but recently bought this above water flash.

It has version 2.0 firmware and works well with the OM-D EM-5.

The challenge is the documentation shows the ability to turn the three beam AF light on and off on the flash, but that option is not there, and I cannot make it work. At all.

Thanks in advance if anyone can share some feedback as to getting it working!

I have changed all the other modes and such to see if it comes available, but no luck.

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon
On most m43 cameras the af assist is in the camera so the one in the flash is not used. The documentation you read refers to the 4/3 standard, not m4/3.

Gordon

bstuke

New to Mu-43
On most m43 cameras the af assist is in the camera so the one in the flash is not used. The documentation you read refers to the 4/3 standard, not m4/3.

Gordon

The EM-5 does have AFI, but it doesn't work well and is partially blocked by the lens. The three beam AF on the flash is significantly better. No sense in having this flash if I can;t use the features, 4/3 or m4/3.

PS. AF-Beam doesn't work on my E-620 either.

ThomD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The EM-5 does have AFI, but it doesn't work well and is partially blocked by the lens. The three beam AF on the flash is significantly better. No sense in having this flash if I can;t use the features, 4/3 or m4/3.

PS. AF-Beam doesn't work on my E-620 either.

If AF assist from the flash is part of your requirements, you will need another flash. FL-600R is probably your only solution.

ThomD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I must be missing something. The Metz HAS AF assist. I am simply trying to get it to work...

What you are missing is that it does not work for all cameras. From the Metz manual for my flash:

If the automatic AF measuring beam is to be activated by the camera,
the „single AF (S)“ autofocus mode must be set on the camera and the
flash unit must indicate flash readiness. Some camera models support
only the camera’s internal AF measuring beam. In this case, the automatic
AF measuring beam of the flash unit is not activated (as in the case of
compact cameras; see the camera’s operating instructions).

beanedsprout

Mu-43 Veteran
I've never gotten the AF assist on the flash to work with any of my cameras, including the FL600R, which I don't believe has one. But it does have the little LED light that can help with focusing I suppose.

I'm using a GH3, EM5, EPL1, and GX1.

bstuke

New to Mu-43
I finally got to the bottom of it. Metz sent me the previous firmware version and it now works again.

Unfortunately Oly decided to go away from flash pre(E-620, Hated it!), and put an LED on the EM5. Now the camera doesn't send a pre signal to the flash or shoe, so the Metz can't turn on AF Beam! Same with Olympus flashes as well. OOPS!

Stick with one thing Olympus! At least the AF LED beam works better than pre flash.

bstuke

New to Mu-43
Exactly. The E-620 was sending the signal, but the new Metz firmware was not working properly.

The EM5 didn't ever, has never, and will never send a signal to the flash according to Olympus.

That stinks.

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon
That's because the EM5 uses on sensor focusing (contrast detect) There's an IR cut filter over the sensor. The AF assist is an IR type and wont play nice with the IR cut filter on the sensor.

It's a physical limitation, not just an arbritary descision.

Gordon

bstuke

New to Mu-43
That's because the EM5 uses on sensor focusing (contrast detect) There's an IR cut filter over the sensor. The AF assist is an IR type and wont play nice with the IR cut filter on the sensor.

It's a physical limitation, not just an arbritary descision.

Gordon
Gotcha, That is way more than I know. All I know is the EM5 focuses better underwater with the 60mm Macro and a +10 diopter than anything I have ever used before. And it is because of the stuff you talk about!
_8280018.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom