1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM-5 and IBIS and OIS

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Kiwi Paul, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Can someone enlighten me which OIS takes priority if using Pany lenses with OIS on the EM5 with IBIS turned on.
    I seem to remember reading something ages ago about it but can't remember what was said.
    I know I can turn OIS off on the lens, but if I forget what happens?

Paul

2. bigbluebear

bigbluebear Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    i'm new to the em-5 also but from reading on this forum, ppl have said it's customizable. look into your menu functions.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Afaik, the em5 does not support automatic IS selection. You need to turn off IBIS manually if you have an OIS lens. The EPL5 supports auto switching. Wish Oly would put som investment onto firmware upgrades...

4. Roger.Cavanagh

Roger.Cavanagh Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 31, 2013
    London, UK
    Roger Cavanagh
    The E-M5 can't cope with IBIS+OIS. If you want to use OIS, you should turn off IBIS. I have seen some suggestions that OIS works better than IBIS with longer lenses, e.g., the P100-300. However, in my experience (very subjective and no testing) OIS can produce some odd results; so I have tended to stick with IBIS for all my Pannie lenses with OIS turned off.

Roger

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I reckon there's not much in it, but a not-very-scientific test I did with my 100-300 did show a slight bias towards favouring the lens's OIS. However, both do a great job (although the noises from the IBIS at 300mm give the impression that it's working hard!).

I suspect that battery life might be better with OIS too, but I haven't done any tests on that (I keep meaning to make up a cable for my HLD6 so I can put an ammeter into the circuit and take some measurements).

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If you leave both on, they tend to 'fight' with each other, and introduce blur. The Olympus body is entirely oblivious to the OIS setting on the lens, so you must manually turn off one or the other.

Note that on OIS lenses without an OIS switch, OIS cannot be enabled on the E-M5 and earlier Olympus m4/3 bodies (so for those lenses, IBIS is your only option).