EM 5.3 or an EM 1.3

litepsort

New to Mu-43
Hi there
I am looking to retire my Nikon D80 and am thinking about moving over to Olympus. Reasons, size, weight and weather sealing.
Most of my photography is landscapes from hiking and trekking, some street, some portrait and some art nude.
I am also wanting to purchase a nice prime for the portrait/street/art nude, perhaps a 17mm 1.2???
And a general all purpose travel zoom. Weather sealing is a must.

I like the size of the EM 5.3 but am concerned with the reported tripod mount breakages.
I like what the EM 1.3 can do, but size is getting back up to my Nikon.
Should I consider the EM 5.2 as there are some good deals to be had?

Whatever cameras I buy, I will be keeping for the next 15+ years just like my D80.
I guess I should be so lucky that there are 2 amazing cameras to choose from.

Thoughts???

Last edited:

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
The E-M1.3 (or .2) will feel a lot like the D80 in your hand. I moved to m43 from a D7000 and, other than the menus, it felt great immediately. The E-M1.3 is still 2 Oz. Lighter than the new D7500. You will find the lenses, especially the zooms, are what make the kit so much smaller.

On the D7000 (and predecessor D80) my zooms were the 16-85/3.5-5.6 (16 Oz.) and 80-200/2.8 (43 Oz.). They were replaced in my m43 kit by the 12-35/2.8 (11 Oz.) and 35-100/2.8 (12 Oz.). So 59 Oz. Down to 23 Oz. And I got pro quality and f/2.8 light gathering at the same time. Yes, I gave up some reach at the long end, but the 80-200 was too heavy to carry around unless I was serious about needing it, so I rarely used it anyway. I could have gone for the Olympus 40-150/2.8 at 30 oz, but it wasn’t available yet (I own it now).

Years later I went on a safari in Africa and acquired the 100-400 (35 Oz.). The equivalent reach in DX-land would be about 133-550, so maybe the 200-500? 81 ounces!

The f/1.8ish primes are also tiny - 4-5 ounces for the 12, 17, 45. And with IBIS, they are all stabilized.

So my advice would be to ignore the body weight, unless you’re planning to only shoot with small primes anyway. Then a lighter and smaller body like the E-M5.3 would be great.

Last edited:

NoTan2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Paul
Hi litepsort,

I also bought into m43 in 2014 from a D7000 (and various other Nikons) because I didn't want to carry all the weight around. Originally started with an E-M5.1 with the 12-40 2.8.
For years I told myself that a gripless E-M5 was fine with the pro zoom attached.

Then I visited the local camera store late last year to buy a spare battery for my daughter's TG-6 and spotted an E-M1.2 on the shelf. I'd never seen one up close before so I made a "huge mistake" and asked if I could try it with a 12-40 attached.

So now I own an E-M1.2 and I now agree with all those who prefer a gripped body for the larger lenses. But it's all very much up to your preference.
I still think the E-M1 is sufficiently smaller and lighter than my D7000 to be noticeable.

If I need to go smaller and lighter, I also have an E-P5 with the 17mm 1.8. These are not weather-sealed though.

It's hard to find any significant faults with either of your choices - technically speaking that is. The preferred size and shape will be what suits you best.

Often times, people moving from something like the D80, D7000, or other similar to a bit bigger think that the E-M1 size is too close, so they opt to go down to the E-M5 family... and then they think it is too small, doesn't feel right, doesn't fit, etc.

I think, for a lot of different activities, the E-M1 line just feels better in the hand carrying it around. The E-M5 line doesn't have as beefy a grip and while it is comfortable and easy to hold, it wasn't always an all day long easy feeling. Some peoples mileage varies obviously, but I'd try both, especially with a pro lens on it like you are thinking, so the 17mm f/1.2, 25 f/1.2 or the 12-40mm f/2.8 zoom (as it is about same size and weight) to appreciate the size, feeling, and handling.

Not sure any of your outings requires a lot of tripod use, unless you plan to use the tripod on the treks or hikes. I don't know about the tripod socket issue, as I don't think that it is an issue in tripod use, but that is me. Dangling the camera from the tripod mount, probably. I don't even dangle an E-M1 family body from one.

I'd think that the E-M1mkII or mkIII with a pro prime or the 12-40 will impress a lot of people who just laugh at the entire line and won't even pick one up or look at it because they think their arm will fall off or something.

CO_yeti

Mu-43 Regular
Maybe you can try one out for free. See if there is an Olympus Test and Wow location nearby.

Gotta say the E-M1iii really impressed me. Ergonomics are on point. It's bigger, but not two big especially if you commit to 1 or 2 lenses for a day. I could see the Pro Capture being useful for street. Handheld hi res was impressive. Might consider some of the more pro use stuff like tethering it offers over the E-M5iii. If you're looking for a 15 year camera the build quality is better on the E-M1iii.

BUT again try and test these out before committing. Even if you have to rent it.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I like the size of the EM 5.3 but am concerned with the reported tripod mount breakages.
The M1.3 has it's tripod mount very close to the front of the camera. If you used it as provided half the quick release plate would stick out over the front of the body. This could create leverage to damage the socket as well.
By it's design I don't think Olympus expect you to actually use it.

What I did was screw a cheese plate from "SmallRig" to the bottom of the camera. This allows me to centre the quick release plate to the body and it all supported. Depending on the size of your quick release plate it will also cover the battery door, but with a cheese plate you can off centre the plate as well to keep the door free to open.

Small rig is in the process of making a L Bracket for the EM1.2 that I am hopeing will also fit the EM1.3.

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-l-bracket-for-olympus-e-m1ii-2199.html

By the look of the EM5.3 broken tripod mount I doubt I would rely on it, shame really
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4458716
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As near as I can tell, there have been TWO reported instances of this failure in the E-M5 III. In both cases, they were related to wrist straps attached to the camera via the tripod mount. Not a sample large enough to draw ANY sort of conclusions from. My E-M5 III seems quite functional on the tripod.

I also have the ECG-5 grip, which stays on the camera pretty much all the time, except when I am using the kit lenses, or smaller primes. This adds not only improved egonomics but adds a minimizing effect on the torque applied to the tripod mount, in that any forward pressure applied to the mount is transferred to the right side of the frame of the camera by the vertical portion of the grip. It also moves the tripod mount back to a more central position on the bottom of the camera.

In time, when the 3rd party grip manufacturers start selling cheaper grips, this won't be such an expensive remediation. At this point, I would say to avoid tripod-mounted wrist straps if these reports concern you.

I, for one, am impressed and quite pleased with my E-M5 III, with or without the grip. There is a lot of value for the money in it.

Real Name
Dave Cherry
Hi there
I am looking to retire my Nikon D80 and am thinking about moving over to Olympus. Reasons, size, weight and weather sealing.
Most of my photography is landscapes from hiking and trekking, some street, some portrait and some art nude.
I am also wanting to purchase a nice prime for the portrait/street/art nude, perhaps a 17mm 1.2???
And a general all purpose travel zoom. Weather sealing is a must.

I like what the EM 1.3 can do, but size is getting back up to my Nikon.
Should I consider the EM 5.2 as there are some good deals to be had?

Whatever cameras I buy, I will be keeping for the next 15+ years just like my D80.
I guess I should be so lucky that there are 2 amazing cameras to choose from.

Thoughts???
EM1.3 if you're serious about keeping the camera for 15 years.

For portraits, the 45 1.8 would be considered a better choice by most--90mm equivalent FOV vs 35 with the 17.

For an all around one lens solution, nothing on the planet comes close to the 12-100 f/4 pro. But if you don't need the focal length, the 12-40 f/2.8 or the new 12-45 f/4 may be all you need.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My own preference would be for the EM1-mk3, but with an EM5 or EM10 as a second "small" camera.

My primary camera is an EM1, but I also have an EM10 for casual shooting (family parties, dinners and such).
The EM10 is my "small" camera and with the 14-42EZ lens, it is pretty small.
However, I do use an add-on grip on the EM10, as the camera without the grip is a bit hard for me to hold. But if I really want compact, I can unscrew the grip, to remove it. Best of both worlds.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It depends on a lot of various factors. For the record, I just bought an E-m5 mark III, and I tried out the E-m1 mark III briefly.

As I've said elsewhere, my big determining factor was the viewfinder. Due to migraines, I have to wear polarized sunglasses ALL of the time when I'm outdoors during daylight hours. Unfortunately the E-m1, E-m5 mark I/II, and the E-m1x all use a TFT LCD viewfinder that either distorts the image or is completely opaque when you shoot in landscape orientation and wear polarized sunglasses.

In terms of size, the E-m1 mark III's hand grip is deeper than the E-m5 mark III's grip, but unless you had the battery grip, the other dimensions are similar. So if you are going to shoot with long lenses a lot, the E-m1 mark III will be more comfortable, but other than that, they are more similar. Yes, if you add the battery grip to the E-m1 mark III (E-m5 mark III does not support a battery grip), the size becomes bigger. But it is optional.

The E-m1 mark III uses the BLH-1 batteries and the E-m5 mark mark III uses the BLS-50 batteries. That means with a freshly charged battery, the E-m1 mark III will last longer. And of course with the battery grip, you can double the time before you need to change batteries.

The E-m5 mark III can charge its battery in the camera if the camera is off, and you plug in the micro-USB cable. I believe the charge is fairly slow, so it is more geared towards if you only need one battery a day, you can charge the battery at night in the hotel room. Without using a dummy battery, you cannot power the E-m5 mark III with external power. The E-m1 mark III uses the newer USB-C connection, and if you have a USB battery that supports USB C-PD (power distribution), you can power the E-m1 mark III from that USB battery. I tried it with a normal USB-C cable, and it would not power the E-m1 mark III, you need USB C-PD.

If you are recording video, the E-m1 mark III has a headphone jack to monitor the sound being recorded in addition to the microphone jack. The E-m5 mark III only has a microphone jack, but no headphone jack.

If you are trying to record long live events, you are out of luck as no Olympus camera will record more than 29 minutes and 59 seconds of video. There were some firmware modifications on this site for older cameras, that allowed you to extend the limits, but the person doing the modifications has not posted in quite some time, and neither the E-m5 mark III nor the E-m1 mark III has modified firmware.

If you are buying in the USA, Olympus USA has a special deal that reduces the price of the E-m1 mark III if you are selling a camera back at the same time (over what you get for the camera). There is not a similar deal for the E-m5 mark III (but there is a long standing 'deal' to reduce the MSRP of the E-m5 mark III by $200). But then, the E-m5 mark III is a lot cheaper than the E-m1 mark III, so it evens out.

If you want to use the Hi-res mode, the E-m5 mark III needs to be used on a tripod, while they claim the E-m1 mark III can do it hand held. I've never used Hi-res mode, so I can't say one way or the other.

The E-m1 mark III has a little joystick to set the focus point when you are shooting with the EVF. The E-m5 mark III does not have this joystick, but you can configure the arrow pad to do the same thing (or there is an option for using the touch screen in this mode).

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Having sold cameras, I saw a lot of busted tripod mounts along with pulled lugs off the tops. Some so bad the thing would rock on the glass counters like a rocking chair. Some seemed to over-tighten the things on rubber-topped tripods as if they needed an impact gun. Newspaper guys always pulled their tripod nuts loose as they swung them around via those straps that attached to them, but they didn't care as "It's the newspaper's camera, not mine." Some bad enough the casings were damaged and we got the "BER" (i.e. Beyond Economical Repair) note.

I wouldn't worry about the E-M5 III tripod issue if you don't abuse it and are careful what you mount it to. Personally, I'd go for the E-M1 Mark III though as the feature set is better, and I got big XL-sized hands.

Last edited:

litepsort

New to Mu-43
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bit the bullet and bought a new camera and two second hand lenses.
EM1 mk iii, 17mm F1.8 and the 12 - 40 F2.8 Pro, UV filters and memory card for US$2000.
Now I just need to learn how to use the bloody thing. :)

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Bit the bullet and bought a new camera and two second hand lenses.
EM1 mk iii, 17mm F1.8 and the 12 - 40 F2.8 Pro, UV filters and memory card for US$2000.
Now I just need to learn how to use the bloody thing. :)
After I purchased my EM1.3 I decided I wanted to more of the functions than i use with my EM10.2 so i booked some of the advaned Olympus training youtube videos. Olympus Australia are running a lot at the moment. Other countries may be as well. You dont have to watch them at the allocated time, you have 24 hours to watch them.

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
After owning an E-M1 mk1 for two days, all I can say is this:

The camera says "Hold me, Touch me, Feel me"!

And when leaning into the EVF with your head, it's not a problem with 1/8th of a second with normal size lenses, like an adapted 50 mm.

For macro, ok, you'll need the tripod, but after reading this thread, you'll probably be careful.

spdavies

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stephen
Two excellent deals on EM5.II's in the forum right now.
Excellent camera, metal body, no mount issues.
I have the EM5, the EM1 and the EM1.II - I grab the EM5 most often.
I agree about the grip - one of the deals has the 2-part grip included.
I use an aftermarket aluminum grip on mine - $25.
It's a superb camera at a steal of a price - you'll love it.

I was a Nikon only shooter (started with Nikkormat EL), I have a D500 and a D850, 4 years ago added the Olympus 5.2, and at the end of last year replaced it with the 5.3.

I get better photos with Nikon, but Olympus with the F/2.8 glass is close, I bought the Olympus because I started to do a lot of traveling and that is where the Olympus shines. it's a lot smaller and the lenses are a bit lighter.

The Olympus menus are infuriating, they really need to hire the Nikon designers. But I am happy to use both.

For best tripod work I still use my Nikons, but when I travel only the Olympus comes with me, I do have some awesome photos with the Olympus. I would reconsider the 5.3 and get an M1.3 as the handheld high res is looking really good in the M1.3.

Last edited:

doady

Mu-43 Regular
On Boxing Day, I tried E-M5 III and 12-40mm F2.8 in the store but I found it too front-heavy, so I ended up getting the E-M1 II and 12-100mm F4 combo instead which felt much more balanced and comfortable, even in my tiny hands. More compact and light Pro lenses like 12-45mm F4 would help justify the E-M5 series. My needs are similar to the OP, I'm not a sports or wildlife shooter, I don't really need the speed of E-M1 series, but it was hard to choose the E-M5 series due that gap in the lens lineup.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
On Boxing Day, I tried E-M5 III and 12-40mm F2.8 in the store but I found it too front-heavy, so I ended up getting the E-M1 II and 12-100mm F4 combo instead which felt much more balanced and comfortable, even in my tiny hands. More compact and light Pro lenses like 12-45mm F4 would help justify the E-M5 series. My needs are similar to the OP, I'm not a sports or wildlife shooter, I don't really need the speed of E-M1 series, but it was hard to choose the E-M5 series due that gap in the lens lineup.
Agree about the 12-40/2.8.

However, I find the 12-100 rather front heavy on my EM1-mk2.
But, in use, it does not bother me. Because it is a somewhat specialized lens, when I want that fully zoom range, not a GP lens that I would use on a vaction.

Personally I use the Panasonic-Lumix 12-60 for a lighter GP lens, like taking on vacation.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom