EM-1iii or EM-1x

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
I disagree, this approach represents a complete understanding of the uses of the camera. Most of my photography is short lens usage (12-100mm). Sometimes I will put the 40-150mm on, and sometimes the panasonic 100-400mm. I find the former relatively comfortable, on the mkii, but the latter unbalanced. Carrying an em1x with a small lens would be too much all of the time. I prefer the flexibility of the detachable grip which will go on for extended long lens use.
Brian

Kiwimac

Mu-43 Rookie
When I see prices like this from other parts of the world I always wonder how the people there can live with prices like that. Even after doing the exchange rate from NZ Dollars to USD the price is considerably higher ($2159.00 USD) as opposed to the advertised prices here in the US:

"The E-M1 MKIII will be available starting February 24, and it's priced like a high-end camera. It will cost $1,799.99 for the body only, $2,499.99 with the 12-40 F2.8 Pro lens, or $2,899.99 with the 12-100 F4.0.Feb 12, 2020" . Source Google search.

Is it import duties that jack the prices up that much? I wonder how with a median income of $52,000 how people can live in NZ.
Speaking as someone who lives there, I don’t disagree. It’s a ridiculous place to live expense wise and much of what is sold is very overpriced for the quality. Most especially houses, most of which are actually little more than large wooden sheds in essence.
GST adds 15% in tax to everything including food and that doesn’t help.
Fortunately our income is many times the median!

Mikehit

Mu-43 Veteran
Andy Rouse really likes both and his comments may help sort out priorities.

www.andyrouse.co.uk/index.php?b=1

I have the E-M1X and am thinking about the EM1 iii simply because I have the option of 'going small' with the mkiii without a grip. I get what you are saying with 'once the grip goes on it stays on' but at least you have the option....

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
Just about to pick up my em-1 mkiii, would have done today but for an over long hospital appointment. My light kit is a em5 mkiii and f1.8 primes. Finally bought a grip for the em-1 as well.
Brian

Real Name
Brian Richards
We are all different, personally i would go for the EM1iii because i dont want or need to have the vertical grip mounted on the camera all the time.
I use to feel that way until I had an E-M1 Mk II overheat and shut down on me during the 2017 American Cancer Society Philly Bike-a-Thon. The built-in heat sink on the E-M1X actually works.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I use to feel that way until I had an E-M1 Mk II overheat and shut down on me during the 2017 American Cancer Society Philly Bike-a-Thon. The built-in heat sink on the E-M1X actually works.
Sure if you need or know that you are going to shoot in situations/environments where overheating is going to be a problem then E-M1X probably is the best choice.

Personally i have never had any issues with my Olympus cameras overheating and i dont think its a real issue with the E-M1 MarkII/MarkIII.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Shot E-M1 and II bodies from freezing Alaska to deserts and never had them freeze up or overheat. Shooting E-M1 III now and I will see if it also can take the temp and humidity ranges of its predecessors handled very well.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Try shooting video in 100+ weather, the EM1's will overheat. But you can just dump water on them to cool them off quickly. Was shooting video a few years ago at the New Orleans Jazz Fest and my EM1 overheated. The look of horror on the faces of the other photographers in the photo pit was priceless when I started pouring water over the camera to cool it off.

Just shooting stills I have never had my EM1's overheat regardless of the weather. But video is something else. Short videos are fine, but once you start shooting longer videos (15 minutes and up) the camera will overheat in high temperatures.

Real Name
Brian Richards
Try shooting video in 100+ weather, the EM1's will overheat. But you can just dump water on them to cool them off quickly. Was shooting video a few years ago at the New Orleans Jazz Fest and my EM1 overheated. The look of horror on the faces of the other photographers in the photo pit was priceless when I started pouring water over the camera to cool it off.

Just shooting stills I have never had my EM1's overheat regardless of the weather. But video is something else. Short videos are fine, but once you start shooting longer videos (15 minutes and up) the camera will overheat in high temperatures.
I shot 3,500 pictures in 90 minutes in 85 degree F weather when the E-M1 Mk II shut down.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom