EM-1iii or EM-1x

ashburtononline

Mu-43 Veteran
Here in New Zealand, the price of the EM1iii is $3399. Add in $498 for a HDL-9 and $128 for another BLH-1, this brings up a total of $4025!
Same retailer offers the EM1X for $4237 (which includes a $500 cashback)
Its a no brainer ......

ashburtononline

Mu-43 Veteran
Once the grip goes on, it stays on. I can honestly say I cannot ever remember using an OMD without a battery pack :) I need two batteries, indeed sometimes 3 :)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yeah, I thought the higher capacity mk2 battery would give me more run time than the smaller battery of the mk1.
But this past week I found out "not so."
I shot a quad basketball game, total almost 6 hours. I drained 1 battery and had 30% left on the 2nd.
I shot an extended baseball game yesterday. I drained 1 battery, and had less than 40% left on the 2nd.
Average continuous ON, run time was about 3-1/2 hours.
Some of that time was with the power sucking 12-100/4 lens.​
So that 2nd battery is a MUST HAVE. And it is time for me to start shopping for a 3rd battery.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Honestly, right now the EM1x is a no brainer. I am finally itching to upgrade my original EM1's and it's looking like in the next few months I will have at least 1 EM1x, really want a pair of them.

Sootchucker

Mu-43 Veteran
I would also add that if you use the longer lenses, (300mm F4 pro, 100-400 Leica etc.), then the stable platform of the EM1X feels much nicer with those than with my non gripped EM1 MK II irrespective on if I shoot vertical or not. If as above you shoot an EM1 MK II gripped, then in my view, there's nothing in it size and weight wise between the two really. Add to that that the 1X also has additional controls (vertical joystick, car and WB buttons etc), makes it the better choice for me.

For travelling when I want to keep as small and light as possible is where the EM1 MK II scores over the 1X

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
I'm dithering over a similar decision. I have a mkii and thinking I'll update to the mkiii. However it does struggle with the pana 100-400mm. Clearly the 1x would be a better choice for that lens but I don't want to carry three bodies (I now use a em5 mkiii for the f1.8 set I've created). The mkii is mainly used for landscape with the 12-100mm and it's a pain when I have to change lenses to grab a wildlife shot, adding the need to attach a grip and change lens is a no-no. Decisions, decisions.
Brian

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
We are all different, personally i would go for the EM1iii because i dont want or need to have the vertical grip mounted on the camera all the time.

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
We are all different, personally i would go for the EM1iii because i dont want or need to have the vertical grip mounted on the camera all the time.
I pretty much came to that conclusion whilst typing my previous post. Now why is the 300mm f4 suddenly so cheap in the uk (I know, wrong forum).
Brian

Kiwimac

Mu-43 Rookie
Here in New Zealand, the price of the EM1iii is $3399. Add in $498 for a HDL-9 and $128 for another BLH-1, this brings up a total of $4025!
Its a no brainer ......
I have two 1X bodies since release.

Nothing in the Mk3 except Starry Sky AF is of interest to me because I find the ergonomics, size and haptics better in the 1X than any camera I have ever used, up to and including the Nikon D4 which I was using until I switched to Olympus.

I am hopeful that the SS AF will come to the 1X in a decent firmware update sometime soon, as the recent 1.2FW update was so insignificant as to be irrelvant and as their top pro camera etc etc I think it is deserving of proper major FW now.

Real Name
Roel
Depending on your photography genre having the option to remove the battery grip could be useful for instance when using an L-bracket. I know RRS sells an E-M1x L bracket but the total size gets substantial.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Depending on your photography genre having the option to remove the battery grip could be useful for instance when using an L-bracket. I know RRS sells an E-M1x L bracket but the total size gets substantial.
Now, I generally don't shoot with grips, so the E-m1x isn't really my cup of tea.

However, I do shoot with grips every so often when I know I'm going to be shooting all day. When I'm shooting with gripped cameras (E-m1 mark I, E-m5 mark I, G85) I like being able to change the battery in the grip while the camera is still shooting. I wait until the camera switches to the body battery, and then I can open the battery door, change the battery, and once I close the battery door, the camera switches back to the gripped battery. I've changed the battery a few times on the G85 while it was recording video, and it kept on recording.

Unfortunately that is not an option for the E-m1x.

Real Name
Dave Cherry
Bought the grip for my em1.1. Too big, sold it. Upgraded to em1.2, love it. Bought an em1x, too big, returned it. Liked it a lot, though.

My em1.3 arrives Wednesday--Yay, can't wait. Probably keep the 1.2 as backup.

Unless it costs 10K, I'll probably get the 150-400 f/4.5. At which point I may revisit the 1.x. I do shoot a lot in portrait mode, but that's less an issue with my current lenses than it will be with a big honkin Zoom. I have bad shoulders, among other things, and rotating a camera for portrait mode is uncomfortable, so I do like having the vertical shutter release.

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wayne
Once the grip goes on, it stays on. I can honestly say I cannot ever remember using an OMD without a battery pack :) I need two batteries, indeed sometimes 3 :)
I have both a M5-mk1 and a M5-mk2 both have the grip and I move the battery grip to the body I'm using at the time. For me using this combo of grip/battery pack makes the cameras feel much better in my hands. I actually like the feel of the extra weight and believe it helps steady the camera.

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wayne
Its a no brainer ......
When I see prices like this from other parts of the world I always wonder how the people there can live with prices like that. Even after doing the exchange rate from NZ Dollars to USD the price is considerably higher ($2159.00 USD) as opposed to the advertised prices here in the US:

"The E-M1 MKIII will be available starting February 24, and it's priced like a high-end camera. It will cost $1,799.99 for the body only, $2,499.99 with the 12-40 F2.8 Pro lens, or $2,899.99 with the 12-100 F4.0.Feb 12, 2020" . Source Google search.

Is it import duties that jack the prices up that much? I wonder how with a median income of $52,000 how people can live in NZ.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When I see prices like this from other parts of the world I always wonder how the people there can live with prices like that.

. . ..

I wonder how with a median income of $52,000 how people can live in NZ.
It is what it is.
You adapt (do without luxuries) and don't compare yourself to others elsewhere.

I used to live in Hawaii, and the cost of 1/2 gallon of milk there is similar to 1 gallon of milk in California. Similar for other stuff.
My family and most of my relatives had dual income (uncle and aunt), to pay the mortgage and cost of living. One income families were rather rare. The idea of a "stay at home mom" was totally foreign to me.

Then again, in California, it is just as bad. I could not afford to buy the house that I am living in. Even with two incomes.
An average 3 BR house in my suburban city is well over $1.5 million. That is over $9k a month mortgage + $18k annual property tax. :eek:

Last edited:

macro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Danny
You seem to be adding items to the E-M1 MKIII to try and make it an E-M1x, so you might as well buy an E-M1x :) The advantage of the MKIII is that you don't have to add anything to it if you don't want to.

I honestly don't find carrying a couple of extra batteries to be too demanding. I use lenses much larger than most would use here and prefer smaller bodies as long as they have the features I want or need (preferably need). So if you need or want a certain camera just buy it. If you need it, buy it in NZ dollars. I never convert the costs here, it's either worth it or not to you or me.

All the best.

Danny.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom