1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM 10 with Metz 15 MS-1 Macro Flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by GShooter, May 30, 2014.

1. GShooter

GShooter Mu-43 Regular

My current macro set up is EM10 with Pentax Takumar 100mm Macro Lens plus extension tubes when necessary. For lighting I am using a Nissin Di466 on a DIY bracket with DIY Diffuser. While this set up gives some good, and at times great results; there are times when I am not able to light the subject the way I would like with a single light source. I have been reading about the Metz 15 MS-1 elsewhere on this forum and am very interested in this piece of equipment.
    However it is quite expensive and I would welcome advise as to the suitability of this flash with my existing camera and lens before I commit to purchasing. Also what sort of control of the flash would I get using the EM10 flash controls?
    Any advice from users of this flash would be most welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ultrarad

Ultrarad Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2014
    Texas
    First off - Nice photos, David!!

That Ring Flash looks pretty nice - and you can USB upgrade it, which is super handy. I'm going to be using my new EM-10 for jewelry/art photography - I may have to check this ring light out, as well. I'm getting tired of trying to make 4 cheap clip on lights illuminate my working surfaces. There are a few good video's online showing how to use simple/cheap LED clusters to light various objects.....Perhaps I'll give that a go. I went ahead and purchased the Oly 60mm macro, since it was on sale where I purchased my camera AND I got another $100 off - kind of a no-brainer. (I splurged and bought the 12mm f2.0, as well - i want to use it as a walk around lens - I love WIDE angles - lol)

3. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

That does look like a nice flash. Unfortunately I also can not tell you about it since I don't own or have used one. If you can afford to buy it, I say Go for it. It's a Metz and they do make great strobes. I have never heard of anyone being disappointed with a Metz flashes performance. I use a much cheaper, all manual, ring strobe for my macro work. But it still cost me around two hundred on eBay. I do have a Metz 48AF-1, a regular non macro flash, that I use and love. I bet you will like your Metz too if you buy it.