1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM-10 Which lens O 70-300mm or P 100-300

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by WESO, May 13, 2014.

1. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    Presently have the P 45-200 and 2 old G1's mainly shooting kids soccer in the UK.
    The above set up has served me well. Season has now ended, next season the lads play on bigger pitches.
    In the interim I have treated myself to the EM-10, early signs are that the difference in image quality is appreciably better than I dare imagine.
    Having shot with original set up on a bigger pitch last week (friendly match) I realize the extra reach of one or another of the above lens will be required next season.

I believe quality is similar on both lens ie fair to average and fairly soft at the long end......

Given price etc similar in uk and the slower aperture of Olympus 70-300 not too important to me (I think?) as games are all in daylight mid morning etc.

What does concern me is more the image stabilization, given I am likely to be shooting at the longer end of range if not maximum much of time what would you think is best in lens OIS or Olympus 3 axis stabilization. If I went for the Pani then I would at least have the choice etc.

The other issue is as all my other glass is Panasonic, would the Olympus zoom offer a bit more in terms of AF speed (and possibly other advantages) on a EM10 body. Also certain lens corrections would be made with a all Olympus lens/body I believe.

I have a couple of months to think about this and will continue experimenting with existing set ups but I dearly need the advise of you guys before I eventually take the plunge.

Thanks in advance

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

You're probably talking about the Oly 75-300mm; the 70-300mm is a 4/3 lens, not mu-43.

On the 75-300, there are 2 versions; the II is supposedly slightly sharper.

If you're planning to still use your Pana bodies, then you should get the Pana lens, as it has OIS.

The max aperture difference is 1/2 stop, probably not enough to make much difference.
    If you do need something much brighter, there are other options but they will be much heavier and much more expensive.

I'd lean towards the Oly if you don't need OIS as the Oly is lighter and a little cheaper, and probably a little sharper.

Barry

3. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    Yes well spotted I meant the 75-300
    I think my future is Olympus though I will be keeping the 45-200 for both types of body
    Was really concerned if 3 axis is capable enough with such a long reach lens?
    Thanks for advice thus far

4. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I'm not sure... even with 5-axis, there are at least several users here that believe in-lens IS should work better than IBIS at telephoto lengths.
    I don't know if anyone's actually tested that.

What shutter speeds are you shooting at? IS shouldn't be very important at 1/500 or higher if you're holding the camera reasonably steady.

You might consider getting a cheap monopod as well (get one tall enough that you don't have to bend down).
    Lots are available for around $20; they won't be as light or as rigid as a more expensive one, but for your purposes a cheap one should suffice.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  5. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    • Like Like x 1
  6. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    Normally I can shoot 750/sec plus
    In all honesty the action is not so quick that i need any faster
    Kind of like the idea of a Pani lens for the choice of stabilisation I would get
    Just wonder if I am selling the em10 short in having a Pani at what would be my main use lens
    Really appreciate your responses Barry
    Regards
    Mark

7. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Probably not... the only common 'problem' I know of is that the Oly bodies don't usually correct Chromatic Aberration (CA) on Pana lenses.

However, CA normally only appears when there is a backlight subject, etc., and is most apparent on wide-angle lenses, not teles.
    Also, it can be corrected in Post Processing.

A rarer problem, only occuring with a few lenses such as the Pana 7-14mm when on Oly bodies, is a purple flare which is very hard to correct.

The other thing you might want to find out is which lens focuses faster for action shots / moving subjects.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  8. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    Something else you might want to consider, particularly if you are a long time Panasonic user, is that you twist the opposite direction to zoom Olympus lenses than you do Panasonic lenses. It isn't that big a deal, but something to bear in mind nonetheless.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DennisC

DennisC Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    I'm using the Lumix 100-300 on the EM10 and the optical stabiliser seems to work better that the IBIS.
    Just a quick test shot last night (handheld of course)

14180634815_d08f5ff990_b.

• Like Like x 4
  10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I've also found that the 100-300mm performs slightly better with its own OIS compared to the E-M5's IBIS. I haven't compared on the E-M1.

11. Qiou87

Qiou87 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    Paris, France
    Using the 75-300mm II with my E-M5, I find the IBIS struggles a little after 250mm (to stabilize when framing in the EVF). To me, stabilization is much more useful for framing than for making sharp images - you will need high shutter speeds to freeze the action anyway.

The good point about the Oly 75-300mm is its size and weight, and its looks match that of a black OM-D body perfectly. Having handled the 100-300mm from Panasonic I found it too big for my taste.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    I've got the 75-300 with my ep5. Works brilliantly is absolutely fine at 300mm handheld. As said before looks wise, size better match. Here in the UK it is also cheaper. And I've found myself in places where the 75mm opposed to 100mm did make a difference.

Either way they will both be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    At these FLs, the greater speed of the Panasonic can make a difference, as can the OIS which yields sharper photos than IBIS.

14. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    To be honest I think you are over estimating the tiny difference in aperture at these focal lengths. And many people I would guess will be at f8 with both lenses as well.

I'm assuming you mean ois could yield a sharper photo under particular circumstances at those focal lengths.

I've shot a fair few at 300mm and can't say I've found ibis to be lacking. Focus speed however is instant on the oly 75-300. It really is fast to focus and snaps in one. None of this backwards/forwards hunting.

We are lucky yet again that we have two excellent lenses to choose from. The m43 format rocks. Depending on ones use case one could edge over the other.

To me it is simple if you have a Panasonic body. Get the Panasonic lens. However with an Olympus body. Check them out both, I went with the 75-300 and don't regret it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    • Like Like x 1