1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM 10 vs. GiX

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by crossen, Nov 16, 2014.

1. crossen

crossen Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2014
    Ohio
    I changed from my G1X to and Oly EM10 and have been very happy with the change. Here is my experience.

The GiX is about equally sharp as the EM10, plenty sharp enough for my purposes, it has a large and clear articulating LCD, it zooms from 28 to 112 so I never had to change lenses, the menu system is excellent, much easier to use than the EM10 menu, the physical controls are outstanding, the camera is reasonably compact compared to a DSLR, the construction with the internal steel frame is excellent, there is an automatic lens cover, and the camera can be set to open at any focal length one wishes.

So why switch?

The G1X lacks one fundamental attribute: it is not fun to use. This is because the viewfinder is inadequate, it is awkward to focus closer than two to five feet, the articulating screen is slow to set up and goes out sideways making the camera more obtrusive, the zoom at portrait length (90 mm) is only f 5.6 making portraiture more difficult..

To me the most important feature in choosing a camera is whether it is fun to use. Only after it meets this criterion does it make sense to me to consider whether the other features of the camera are suitable for what I want to accomplish. If it's not fun to use, I won't use it much no matter what its other characteristics, ti will sit on my shelf. Camera reviews talk about "usability" but this is a very indirect way of confronting the key issue of whether the reviewer actually found the camera enjoyable to use. If I have to fight with the camera to get it to do what I want, I find it's technical merits are almost irrelevant, interesting but irrelevant.

I speak here of amateurs, not of professionals who have to do what is necessary to make a living.

Crossen

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    :confused:
    Impossible, not because one is sharper than the other, but because one is a camera and one is a body.
    You could amend your claim by mentioning what lens was on the front of the E-M10 when it equalled the sharpness of your Canon G1X ...

I too like the E-M10's viewfinder, but I don't own one.

• Like Like x 1
  3. crossen

crossen Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2014
    Ohio
    Good point! I am using the Panasonic 20mm f1.7, and the Olympus 45mm f1.8 almost all the time, with occasional use of the Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro and tele. All three seem very sharp to me.

I use the 20 and the 45 as a walk-around normal lens, whichever is on the camera at the time.

I am a former OM 1 user so like the design of the EM10.

I also used to use compact 35mm cameras that used a non-interchangeable 40mm lens, so I am very comfortable with the 20 m4/3 focal length, rather than using a 35 mm equivalent lens.

One reason the 35 mm was the classic moderate wide angle in film days was that it was usually paired with a 50 mm normal. By itself, I find it a bit too wide for my taste. YMMV.

Crossen

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    All three of your lenses on the E-M10 should, in my opinion, be sharper than a G1X at most apertures, focal lengths, centre and edges
    because ... great lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  5. They are great lenses, but so is the one in the G1X. The advantages of the two Micro 4/3 primes is their maximum apertures.

6. crossen

crossen Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2014
    Ohio
    I have seen your images taken with the G1X and they are excellent!

Crossen