EM-10 on the way.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sammykhalifa, Jun 24, 2014.

1. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Should be delivered tomorrow! I'm pretty excited. I know people in general don't like that it uses the PEN batteries but it'll let me charge the ones from my EPL2 to shorten the wait time. :)

Any advice for a first time OM-D user? I only have the experience with the EPL2, so the top dials, etc., will be new. What ISO do people feel comfortable using? I know that's pretty subjective (I use up to about 800 safely, 1600 if I need to currently), but that's OK. Anything I might not expect? I know activating the SCP is a pain, but I think I got that.

I know that there are plenty of "setting up your camera for the first time" type resources out there, but I guess I was wondering of people had anything a bit more personal to share.

2. gary.l

gary.l Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Just ordered mine, too! Need to sell my EPL5 now... My first DSLR, I used for 6 years. My EPL5, less than a year. Sigh. I read that EM-10 and EPL5 have the same sensor. I use up to 1600 on my EPL5.

• Like Like x 1
  3. randyspan

randyspan Mu-43 Veteran

May 24, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    Randy Spann
    You are in for a treat!
    - I generally use auto iso limited to 1600, with no grain problems. I also setup focus peaking to magnify and show white. Recently I did some astrophotography, with manual focus and focus peaking, I could actually focus on mars! (so as to get infinity on a 14mm focal length).

• Like Like x 1
  4. mario23

mario23 Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    FL
    Congrats. .. Been loving mine!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    So far so good, thanks everyone.

One thing that kind of surprised me was how much of a smaller "footprint" it leaves than the EPL2 with the eyepiece attached. To me it's more drastic in practice real-life than I expected from specs and photos online (excuse the ancient point-and-shoot quality here).

14329755159_8b6bab4774_z.

14515256202_d9d1615f51_z.

Just thought this might useful for someone.

Obviously the new cam is better in almost every way--one small issue I have with the physical item is the large rubber "cover" that goes over the different ports. It just seems unnecessarily large and in the way and I'm kind of wondering if it will hold up.

Thanks everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  6. gary.l

gary.l Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Wow thanks for your photos. Did you order from Olympus? I haven't even gotten shipment notification yet.

7. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Thanks for the photos, Neil. I'd been thinking of an EPL5 to replace my EPL2 just assuming the EM-10 would be bigger. Looks like I'll have to re-think that idea. I generally carry the EPL2 with Panny 14 mounted, plus the EM-5 with my "lens of the day" plus a spare lens or two. It all fits nicely inside a Domke F5-XB. I didn't think the EM-10 would fit, but looks like it'll work out great. :D

8. ErnieH

ErnieH Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    You're in for a treat Sammy! I got an E-M10 to supplement my E-PL5 for outdoor shots, thinking the M10's EVF would be the key feature. But within a day the E-M10 won me over entirely.

• Like Like x 1
  9. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Yeah, Gary. I think I was one of the lucky ones as my order shipped the Monday after my Friday afternoon order. I know people have reported issues with their refubs, but mine looks great for all I can tell (though I'm not that picky) and the shutter count was something in the range of ~500.

Barefoot, sorry if I triggered some GAS in you, haha. In fact it's small enough that I'm considering getting the grip--something I didn't think I'd be interested in.

It's winning me over pretty quickly too, Ernie!