1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM-10 hot shoe fell off

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gengo, Dec 4, 2015.

1. gengo

gengo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Walking around tonight with my camera on a black rapids sling and I noticed the hot shoe fell off. I don't know what it is called exactly, maybe it is the holder, but its the part that an accessory slide into.

What are my options?

2. gengo

gengo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, if you're talking about the metal bracket, you're probably going to have to send it in for repair.

Barry

4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Could you please show us the actual camera with damage?
    I wonder how is that possible as that bracket should be designed to be really tough to hold some big flashes, e.g. FL-50.

5. gengo

gengo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Yes, the bracket. I had the Yongnuo 650-iv on it last week, but today while walking around (which is when it fell off) - nothing.

Attached Files:

6. gengo

gengo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Also, I don't have the piece that fell off as I didn't notice it immediately.

7. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Sad. You need a repair shop or to send it to Olympus.

8. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Interesting, it's hard to see from blurry photo what was holding it in place

9. gengo

gengo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Sorry about the blurry picture, cell phone picture at night.

10. gengo

gengo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Home, bit still using a cell phone

Attached Files:

11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    There's a thin piece of stainless steel that covers the bottom of the hot shoe. There are 4 screws, around the the outside of center plastic/contacts, that hold the hot shoe to the camera. They, along with the hot shoe are missing from the last picture.

FWIW, the screws holding the hot shoe to my E-M10 weren't very tight; they're snugged down now.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. onewheeltom

onewheeltom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    Looks like the screws holding the hot shoe bracket in place may have backed out. Notice that the contacts are still in the correct position. It's possible that 3 of the screws had already fallen out and when the fourth one fell out, the bracket was lost.

You might just be able to replace the bracket part if the screw threads were not damaged.

13. gengo

gengo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    So I can order a replacement and do it myself?

14. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Is camera under warranty? Try to call Olympus first - it's very odd that metal plate that covers those screws got off by itself and then all four screws loosened and fell off. Looks like it was assembled on Friday night.
    If warranty not and option, then I would bring it to a local camera repair shop and ask them to fix it - for reasonable price. That will save you time, shipping and retail parts prices (aka highway robbery).

PS: Mike's Camera looks like a good candidate: Olympus Camera Repair Parts - search for "shoe" on that page and shoot them email for confirmation.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  15. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The plate that covers the screws is thin and flexible, and the screws are very short with very little engagement. They don't have to unscrew very far to be able to knock the hot shoe off.

16. gengo

gengo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Thank you. I see 3 items listed with the word "shoe".

The only thing I can think of is that I did recently have warranty work done on the top right, back dial through Olympus warranty service. Maybe they had to disassemble the camera and that caused the other issue?

In any case, thank you all for your help.