EM-10 continuously restarting, can't get a service right now, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by edme, May 10, 2016.

1. edme

edme Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2013
    I live out of a backpack
    Tristan
    Hi All, right now I am in Cambodia so I can't send it in for a service and it is beyond frustrating not having a camera.

It's an EM-10 and is constantly restarting at random intervals sometimes it will restart every second, then it will go a full 30 seconds without restarting, but mostly it will stay on at least 5 seconds.

I have made sure the contacts on the battery are touching, I cleaned the power switch, did a hard reset, turned off everything (auto focus, IS, wifi) with no luck. There is nothing recorded in the service menu either.

This thread is a real hail Mary but if anyone has any ideas or something similar happen to them I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee Subscribing Member

May 3, 2013
    California
    Do you have multiple batteries to test? Immediately, it sounds like an issue with the battery. But could be deeper.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Wonder if it has to do w/heat & humidity?

4. edme

edme Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2013
    I live out of a backpack
    Tristan
    That was my first thought as well, I have two genuine batteries with no difference though...
    It could be because of that, the first time it happened it was 40 degrees and I was walking in the sun, the camera was noticeably hot.

Actually I should have also said that I think movement plays a role in restarting, I can sit it on my table and watch it restart over and over but that is rare, picking it up or jiggling it definitely makes it worse.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Contacts between lens and camera might need cleaning.

6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I had an Olympus E30 and accidentally discovered if I put my thumb near the arrow keys with enough pressure it would restart the camera. It freaked me out and only did it when I pressed in that area. It was bizarre...a loose contact or something I imagine. I doubt that is the same thing you have going on, but made me think of it. It's the only trouble I ever had with any of my dozen or so Olympus cameras.

Well 104F heat could definitely play a role. Computers and electronics will shut down with enough heat to protect themselves. The same thing would probably happen when trying to record 30 min + of video. If I was in a climate like that I'd definitely want a weather sealed body...esp assuming it's humid on top of it. I think even with the pro bodies, the shock of going in/out of AC to extreme heat could be an issue. The manual mentions putting in a plastic bag til the body/lens has a chance to level up to temp to prevent condensation I think.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.