1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM-10 continuously restarting, can't get a service right now, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by edme, May 10, 2016.

1. edme

edme Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2013
    I live out of a backpack
    Tristan
    Hi All, right now I am in Cambodia so I can't send it in for a service and it is beyond frustrating not having a camera.

It's an EM-10 and is constantly restarting at random intervals sometimes it will restart every second, then it will go a full 30 seconds without restarting, but mostly it will stay on at least 5 seconds.

I have made sure the contacts on the battery are touching, I cleaned the power switch, did a hard reset, turned off everything (auto focus, IS, wifi) with no luck. There is nothing recorded in the service menu either.

This thread is a real hail Mary but if anyone has any ideas or something similar happen to them I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Do you have multiple batteries to test? Immediately, it sounds like an issue with the battery. But could be deeper.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Wonder if it has to do w/heat & humidity?

4. edme

edme Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2013
    I live out of a backpack
    Tristan
    That was my first thought as well, I have two genuine batteries with no difference though...
    It could be because of that, the first time it happened it was 40 degrees and I was walking in the sun, the camera was noticeably hot.

Actually I should have also said that I think movement plays a role in restarting, I can sit it on my table and watch it restart over and over but that is rare, picking it up or jiggling it definitely makes it worse.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Contacts between lens and camera might need cleaning.

6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I had an Olympus E30 and accidentally discovered if I put my thumb near the arrow keys with enough pressure it would restart the camera. It freaked me out and only did it when I pressed in that area. It was bizarre...a loose contact or something I imagine. I doubt that is the same thing you have going on, but made me think of it. It's the only trouble I ever had with any of my dozen or so Olympus cameras.

Well 104F heat could definitely play a role. Computers and electronics will shut down with enough heat to protect themselves. The same thing would probably happen when trying to record 30 min + of video. If I was in a climate like that I'd definitely want a weather sealed body...esp assuming it's humid on top of it. I think even with the pro bodies, the shock of going in/out of AC to extreme heat could be an issue. The manual mentions putting in a plastic bag til the body/lens has a chance to level up to temp to prevent condensation I think.