EM-10 AWB And Colors In General... Good Or Blah?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dissembled, Apr 15, 2015.

1. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I'm looking to add the EM-10 to my arsenal in the near future. I'm very curious however, how it produces colors in JPEG mode using the AWB setting. Does it gravitate towards a certain color in daylight? How does it portray skin tones? Is it accurate enough or does it exaggerate colors a bit? Me? I prefer some exaggeration. I like my photos contrasty and saturated. Not too much, but enough to make photos seem less flat.

Thanks folks!

I already own a GX7 but the OMD lines's revolutionary IBIS is quite enticing. And did I mention that I always wanted an OMD camera for years now?

2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I find the AWB and colors to be quite good. You can set JPG rendering to Vivid if you want slightly stronger saturation, though I don't see much difference with my old Viewsonic monitor.
    I'm one of those folks that isn't afraid to punch up the color saturation and contrast in OV3 with the RAW file, then export as a JPG or TIF.

3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I found the AWB to work very well for an automatic WB. It's not perfect. There is also an option called "Keep Warm Color" to tune the AWB with artificial lights.
    Olympus jpeg colors are great: vivid, saturated but not fake. Obviously you can set a few options like sharpness, saturation, etc. to fine tune it.
    Check the image samples threads on this site.

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I think the AWB & colours on the E-M10 are good and on the punchy side without becoming garish.

5. gobeatty

gobeatty Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2014
    I wish I wish...there was a Vibrance option. What I mean is I like the look of natural skin tones in a vivid environment. I can get this in post using Vibrance but can't get it in camera. I've tried Vivid or turning up saturation in Natural but then the skin tones go red and sunburned looking.

Thoughts?

To the OP, my main issue with the EM10 JPEGs is more to the tone curves than the colors. My Canon does better overall in the JPEG department but I'm shooting the Oly due to much smaller size and that my photos are not paid work or high stakes. The Oly does great.

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I've been using vivid jpeg lately and they're awesome, punchy and accurate.

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Vivid jpegs from all of my Olympus cameras do not make skin looks red and sunburned.
    I can't speak that much about the newest generation since I don't have daytime summer skin photos from them yet.

8. gobeatty

gobeatty Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2014
    Part of the challenge with vivid colors and natural skintone may be high iso. I can turn up saturation a notch or two in good light using low iso but in indoor light the iso rises, images become more contrasty and its easy to my eyes to overdo the skin tones. When making indoor cub scout photos without flash, I prefer to shoot natural and add vibrance to bring out the colors in the uniforms.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  9. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Thanks, guys. I can't purchase a new E-M10 yet because I only have $400 saved at the moment but hey, I'm getting there! I'm also tirelessly hunting for deals online.

Does anybody know if there will be a future Olympus instant rebate program for the E-M10 bodies (in which coupling the camera with an Olympus lens is NOT required to acquire the refund)? A spring sale, perhaps?