1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM-10 Auto ISO Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SVQuant, Feb 21, 2016.

1. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Reviewing my files from last Monday's outing with the family, I realized that they were all at 500 ISO. This surprised me because I have Auto ISO enabled for P/A/S mode and almost everything was shot in either A or S mode. Images from the previous day were fine and the only thing I did in the interim was switch batteries.
    Looking at the Settings (Gears)|Exp-ISO, I noticed that the ISO there was set to 500 and not to Auto. I certainly do not recall doing this, so I was wondering if I may have done something inadvertently and what it may have been. Would appreciate any help in helping me understand what happened.
    And of course, I should have noticed it while I was taking pictures and will pay more attention in the future.

2. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The "preferred" ISO is switchable from the SCP (Super Control Panel); it's set to genuine base ISO (200) by default. It might have been a nose job ... (if you inadvertedly pressed "OK" at some point in time and then hit the ISO field, e.g. with your nose, something like this might have happened).

M.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I have that issue as well and it's entirely self inflicted with me regularly forgetting to either switch the iso to low 100 when it's sunny or forgetting too change back to auto iso when it's dark. They say our camera system is one of compromise and for me the absence of more easily accessible iso settings is one of the main ones with the E-P5.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Johan
    On my M5 I have a couple of times accidentally change the ISO-settings, touched the right arrow when I've had my gloves on, guess it's the same om M10. I mostly shoot in M-mode so I've noticed it almost instantly but if I would have shot in any programmode it would certain have passed unnoticed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    @kreegah bundolo@kreegah bundolo Good thinking; I've reprogrammed the D-Pad on my E-M10 (I use it for shifting the AF point because I usually shoot through the EVF, so Touch Focus isn't available), but in its default state, the right button does indeed call up ISO settings.

M.

6. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Thanks everyone for your input. I knew it was self-inflicted :) Just wanted to make sure I understood what I had done.

This is most likely what happened. I had set ISO using the SCP when shooting in M mode the previous day, so all I had to do was "nose" 500.

My D-pad is set to move the focus point as well since I mostly use the EVF, but thanks for reminding me of this possibility.
    BTW, I noticed your location. I was a visiting student in Goteborg in the early 90s and spent time traveling from Stockholm up the Baltic coast and on to Kiruna and then went back in 2008. Beautiful country.

7. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    If I may offer a suggestion. A long time ago I got into the habit of resetting my camera every time I pick it up for the first time that day or even after a long break from using it. I set up my camera the way I like it by default and save that as a "MySet" reset. So whenever I use my camera I change up whatever I think may need to be changed for that shooting situation. But every time I go to use the camera for the first time, I make it my very first step after flipping the power switch to ON, to then go to the Reset/Myset menu and restore my defaults. If you make it a habit then hopefully you won't fall into those situations where the night before you were shooting at high ISO then the next day on the sunny beach all your shots are at the high iso because you forgot to reset the ISO when you were done (which I how I convinced myself to get in the habit of Turn ON, Reset Myset, start using). Heck, I often do the reset before I even get the lens cap off. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    That's a great idea. Thanks for suggesting it. I haven't really felt a need to create a MySet with yet, but this may be a perfect opportunity to do it.

9. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Ya, even if you only create ONE MySet, it should be to allow an easy way to be sure your camera is back the way you like it when you first pick it up. Then you won't get caught having left the ISO at 6400 or exposure bracketing enabled making you wonder why every third shot is too dark or too light, or why your AF lens is not working because you left it in MF last time you used it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Raptor7

Raptor7 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2014
    Madrid, Spain
    I have one Myset for Aperture priority mode, and another one for Shutter priority mode. And I have them assigned to the A and S positions of the mode dial. So, everytime I change to any of those modes, they are resetted to my default values.

• Useful Useful x 1