1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM-1 with 300 tracking

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jeffg53, Mar 1, 2016.

1. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Having just bought the 300, I want to use it to track moving objects. I haven't followed how tracking works, and what the best option is. I remember that none of the options was great. Has that improved now?

2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    It depends on which body. The E-M1 C-AF+Tracking works quite well with the latest firmware. It is not foolproof but pretty good. If you have a look at:

Your Top 5 Images February 2016

The two surfing shots were done with C-AF + tracking

as was this:

For the dog lovers

3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    At the risk of sounding like an asshole...........best way to find out is to go out and use it and make your own judgement. That said.........

I find tracking to be

- 50/50 if it will work on a particular subject
    - 50/50 if it will work with a particular background
    - 50/50 if it it decides to go off on some tangent and zip across the screen for no reason

I use C-AF and C-AF+tracking but find C-AF to work better if I can keep the focus point on the subject. Really, tracking is the area that Olympus needs to improve the most. Overall C-AF is working pretty damn good, now if they can get tracking to perform better the system will be much better.

Edit - Lens has no bearing on how well tracking works.........lens can effect how well continuous autofocus performs tho.

4. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    I agree with the first two but post FWv3 I am seeing much less of #3.

5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    That's what I thought until I tried it last weekend shooting some calf roping............happened by this cowboy church out in the wilds of Texas and they just happen to have a rodeo pen so they can practice after church. I stopped and did some shooting, only had the 150/2 with me and it was to much lens (plan to go back with the 50-200).........anyways

It kept zipping off into la la land on me.........not sure why and my friend who was with me was not really interested in watching rodeo so I did not get to play with it much. I will when I go back because it will be much easier to photograph if I can count on the tracking staying on the rider or the calf depending on what I want to track.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Thanks folks. To justify my position as an asshole, I am 500K away from where I will be shooting. I will be taking brumbies (wild horses) and remember that this was an issue a couple of years back. I asked the question to glean the latest wisdom rather than out of laziness.

It sounds like the answer is 'it depends, but it is a lot better than it was'. I have the latest firmware installed. I'll try the two on birds first and see how that goes. Brumbies are very skittish and disappear back into the background with little provocation.

7. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I dont have the 300mm but i used the 40-150 @150mm here and I got about 9 out of 10 in fokus in this situation.
    RallySweden2016_09_.

8. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Using C-AF or C-AF TR?

9. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    Sorry, should have added that I used C-AF TR.

10. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I think you should go for the EM1, which I don't have, but speaking from my experience using 40-150 pro on both G6 and EP5, tracking works best if you set it to proper sized box or single point, while stopping down to make sure you have enough DOF. The 40-150 pro has excellent operating speed so I guess you won't feel any lag with the 300 pro either stopped down. And when shooting the running-towards-you type, the better/further the camera can predict the movement (considering the speed and shutter lag), the less you have to stop down for DOF.

11. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Thanks. It looks like people get good results either way. I've only been photographing for 60 years and never had to worry about tracking before.

12. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Thanks. I should have said that I have an EM-1. i suspect that I will be panning a lot of the time so I might miss some of the nastier issues.

13. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Generally speaking I've found it a lot easier to do panning especially with longer lens in term of AF than tracking focus of someone near moving towards or away from you, so I think you will be fine with the 300. Have fun shooting.

14. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    I'd like to dig deeper into this particular topic. In shooting running events, prepositioning for a good shot is easy, as the track or course is obviously known. The challenges can broadly be summed up in three areas:
    1. Shutter lag when the subject covers a bit of distance towards the camera between the moment of AF capture and shutter release
    2. Isolating the correct subject from a group
    3. In indoor situations, low light issues and the elimination of the ability to stop down for greater DOF.

I don't have an EM1, but am contemplating getting one to improve my keeper rate over the two bodies I have been using (EP3 and GM1). With those lesser instruments, I have found that my best results have actually been by manually prefocusing in anticipation of the subjects arriving in frame, rather than relying on AF while attempting to pan and follow the subject's motion. Is the AF-C with Tracking prounouncedly better in the EM1, to the point where I could pan and follow a subject and expect to get numerous good shots as a given subject passes by?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  15. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    AFAIK, I haven't worked with any one of EM1, EP3 or GM1. But as long as shutter lag and movement prediction are concerned, newer bodies do better, when moved up from G5 to G6 I noticed the body compensate more with predictions especially when you pair it with the pro zoom lens (which is quite essential actually), because part of the so-called "shutter lag" consists of aperture lag, and with the pro zoom there's no "aperture lag" that I can tell. And my EP5 does quite well with lags and predictions albeit Olympus usually has more difficulties than Panasonic locking on the target, but when it locks on it, the focus is usually precise.

For isolation, probably you can work out something else than narrowing the DOF only, namely slow shutter speed and panning but that's tricky most of the time, there has to be a trade-off with current m43 I'm afraid.

For indoor situations, I used to CAF-TR slow and predictable movements quite well with P25 1.4, though O25 1.8 probably does it better, indoor fast movement I've yet to figure out, it will be absolutely amazing to see our cameras be able to do that.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  16. Koru

Koru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2014
    Auckland, New Zealand
    C-AF without tracking has always had a better keeper rate including the latest firmware. C-AFTr has a mind of its own, and you usually have to keep tapping the shutter button to restart which is infuriating during a sequence.
    These were mostly C-AF using the 40-150Pro on my E-M1.
    Cheers,
    Don

18195362-lg.

18195361-lg.

18195360-lg.

18195359-lg.

18195358-lg.

18195364-lg.

18195363-lg.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    That's pretty impressive! As a landscape guy, this stuff is a bit of a mystery to me.

18. RickeyG

RickeyG New to Mu-43

Jan 4, 2011
    Got into image stabilization/and set manually to 300mm. Set Caf of course... It's the best I can get my 4/³ lense to work.. And may help you in this case. Olympus CAF sucks. Been using oly since e500... They should have this cased by now but Have not... But, there have been improvements over the years....

19. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    Setting the lens size for stabilization only works with adapted lenses. The native 300 will set its length automatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2